I am turning 17 in feb, i am planning of getting a 1965 mustang as a first is it a ood idea? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

I am turning 17 in feb, i am planning of getting a 1965 mustang as a first is it a ood idea?

is this car reliable or will it need a shyt load of repairs and etc.
will it last long looking to get a restored one found with good km on it ?
skeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 12:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I am turning 17 in feb, i am planning of getting a 1965 mustang as a first is it a ood idea?

The 1965 Mustang was originally designed and built to be a low-cost car for beginning families. It was not designed to be a long lasting or even a durable vehicle. It was a cheap car that people could afford. You have to remember, this is a 45 year old car. Unless it is fully restored to "original" quality, it will be a box you will be continually throwing money into. Don't get me wrong, I love the original Mustang and would love to have another one. But as a first car, and I would assume at 17 you do not yet have a high paying job that would let you throw a ton of money at it, I would not recommend getting one. Compared to newer vehicles, even ones from the 80's and 90's, there were very few safety features in the Mustang. A small front or rear-end hit will cost you a fortune to repair. If you can afford the car and the upkeep, get it and enjoy it. Just be careful. It is a light car and the rear end can get away from you real fast.
fitzsimons85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

All teens want classic cars as they're first cars, because they are cool. Problem is they usually aren't being very smart or realistic about what they actually need....especially w/ limited/no driving experience.

Classic cars (any classic car) make LOUSY daily drivers mainly because they are 40+ years behind modern cars in every way,shape,form, and feature you could think of and since you've probably just got your license ANY mustang will cost your parents a second mortgage for the 6 months or so you have it in one piece.

Though a classic will be even more since as said they are 40+ years behind modern cars...especially in safety features, and as said you have ZERO driving experience past what the Canadian DMV or whatever deems the bare minimum to be allowed on the roads. So unless you're parents are rich and you are the first teen in the world to actually not drive like a wannabe vin diesel in a mustang, you're asking for s***
pueblo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #4

Well it's a bit primitive (no air bags, sloppy steering, marginal brakes) but on the other hand they are very simple to fix and parts are plentiful. Might be a nice car to tinker with, and if you like to use tools, you can do a lot of things yourself.

Watch out for bad ball joints on these and of course, if you buy an automatic, have the vehicle checked out thoroughly.

They are prone to rusting, too, especially in the trunk area, down low.
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:19 AM   #5

then find one that is in decent shape to begin with , the time to start looking for a good deal is now , I would be glued to auto traderclassics.com and hemmings.com, hemmings motor news is a online magazine based on a well known and well respected magazine called hemmings motor news. It has been around for 30 plus years and has a world wide following of car lovers. You can look at last months want ads for free, or pay a small fee for the online magazine and have access to current ads or pay a few dollars more and get the hard copy mailed to your home.
It is a buyers market right now, and cars in really nice condition are selling for less than their value as classics. Its not easy finding the right car, so the best thing to do is start looking and hope you can narrow what you want down to a specific make model and year. The 289 v8 was a great ford motor it got great gas mileage for what it was, and you could build a 600 hp racing motor out of one easily . The 302 with a 3 speed did good on gas too, lots of those older mustangs have 6 cylinder, the ones that are worth money are the big blocks however. A mustang in good shape would work fine as a daily driver, as long as it was in good shape to begine with there should not be many problems.
imported_Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1965 mustang