C4 transmission help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

C4 transmission help?

Just finished installing a newly rebuilt C4 transmission on my 1967 mustang. This was a manual 3 speed to auto conversion so I've had to add some new parts (flexplate, blockplate, cooking lines, etc.) I have everything installed and finally fired up the car today. Put it in to gear and all I get is forward movement. Even when its in Park the rear tires still try to spin. I've double checked the shift lever to make sure that it starts in Park, I've messed a little with the front and rear bands (only know a little about these so didn't mess too much) but can't seem to figure it out.

Any suggestions from those of you who have dealt with this before? Really don't want to have to haul it to a tranny shop and pay some big bucks, that's the whole reason I decided to do this on my own! Thanks for any advice.
Ardley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

C4 transmission help?

sounds like the linkage needs adjusted. if it moves in park then adjust the linkage so you have the other gears too.
parnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

C4 transmission help?

Just a thought. Check the shift linkage to be sure it moves all the way from Park to Low. Each time the lever moves one notch the linkage on the transmission should also move one notch.

It sounds like it isn't in Park. Put the shift lever in Park and jack up the rear wheels and verify they are locked in Park, should be able to turn them with your hands Then take it out of Park and the wheels should turn. (turn one side clockwise and the other side will turn counterclockwise assuming there is a normal, non-locking, differential.)
dunmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

C4 transmission help?

You have a valve body problem. either someone made it a manual valve body with a trans brake,you would need to engage the trans brake to get reverse.
josilyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs