What is a 1972 Mustang Grande Worth? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-12-2011, 12:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
What is a 1972 Mustang Grande Worth?

There's a 1972 Mustang Grande in a town near me. Other than that it's an automatic transmission I don't know much about it. The sticker says that it's been 'rebuilt', and it's rust-free, but it's still worn and definitely hasn't been restored. The hardtop is the canvas kind,, and it's worn and peeling a little around the edges. The paint is a metalic green, definitely original color but might have been touched up. Seats are sound, grey leather (or vinyl, not really sure), not torn, but the stitching is worn through in places. The car looks sound, label says that it runs good.

The sticker price on it is $7200, and I really feel like that's way, way more than what it's worth. My price range is about $4000 at best, but looking around on the web I notice that most Mustang Grandes in this condition go for about $2500. Because of that I'm thinking that it's way over priced.

What do you think it's probably worth, just as an estimate, and do you think that I could offer the guy selling it a very low-ball offer and just see what comes of it?

annawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 PM   #2

"American Pie" doesn't know as much as he thinks. The third generation Mustangs are the least sought after of the collectible years. A label or sticker saying it has been rebuilt doesn't mean anything as there are so many interpretations of the phrase "rebuilt". The Vinyl top will need to be replaced and I would bet there is rust under it. The seat upholstery is not original as they never came in any shade of grey. It sounds like it should be around $2500-$3000 tops depending on the actual mechanical condition. Another phrase that scares me is "rust-free". I bet I could find some in several spots.

imported_Meturato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yes it is worth around 7200$. That baby is a "classic" among car collectors. The seller is most likely trying to sell to them. All the other stuff you mentioned is just minor details. The fact that it's almsot 40 years old, and all rebuilt means it's in perfect driving condition. The transmission and engine are all rebuilt. I would pay 7200$ in a heart beat. Yes he could prob sell it for 6000$ but like I said car collectors are the ones looking at this, they know what they can do to it, paint job and interior wise to re-sell it for double that price and make a profit. Or just through some historic plates on it and drive aorund town in it. Classic car, worth the money.
westin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

1972 mustang