Strange car starting problems.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Strange car starting problems.?

I've got a 1970 Mustang with a Pertronix Electronic ignition and high energy coil. Also have a 600CFM edelbrock carb that hasn't been cleaned out in about 2 years. Every so often when I go to start the car, it won't fire for about 50 seconds. Then it either fires right up no problem or shoots out a huge could of grey smoke that smells like semi-burnt fuel (and cackles like a stock car, which I don't really mind). It used to happen about once a month, but it happened 3 times today out of about 6 times of starting it. It doesn't seem to matter if the car is warm or hot. I tried to start it cold and it just cranked for about 50 second and then I drove to the bank and it happened again when I tried to leave.

I was thinking that the carb is just getting gummed up, as it did sit for a couple months without being driven a year and a half ago (when it started), but the thing that confuses me is that it takes almost exactly 50 seconds of cranking every time with no variation ever. That makes me think it's some kind of electrical problem?

What does the internet think?

Thanks for the help!

finley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Strange car starting problems.?

The best answer i could give you is by the sounds of it its really not your daily driver and with that you could have a number of fuel alone issues i would deal with first before i would dig into any electrical. I would first start with a fresh tank of fuel, new fuel filters, and a good carb clean and check your fuel lines for any leaks. any air that can get into a system will ruin the vacuum that keeps fuel closest to the carb allowing that easy start. so i would do those things first
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs