What 4 barrel carburetor do I need for my 1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #1

What 4 barrel carburetor do I need for my 1968 Ford Mustang 302 V8?

I have a 1968 Ford Mustang 302 that the person that had the car before me converted to a 2 barrel carburetor. That carburetor is leaking bad and pretty much garbage, and I want to have a 4 barrel carb put back onto the car. What carburetor should I buy for it?
imported_ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

If it has a 4 bbl intake with a 2 bbl adapter, then you can put a 4 bbl back on.
Though there are better carburetors out there, but I would put a small spread bore Holley on there because it's easy and it is similar to the 4 bbl's for that era car. Spread bore carburetors have smaller front barrels than rear barrels. A square bore has all four barrels the same size. Spread bore's will atomize fuel better at part throttle loads. Therefore, you'll get better response, drive-ability, MPG's and part throttle performance. However, spread bore and square bore units fit differently on top of the intake manifold.

Another secret to making a Holley on the street deliver both great power and mileage is one that has Annular nozzles/boosters instead of Down leg or Dog leg nozzles. Annular nozzles are superior to the other style boosters in their ability to vaporize fuel. The other two style boosters shine at wide open throttle but they make a carburetor a PIG a part throttle loads, and especially on either a small engine or a low compression engine with a BIG camshaft. Vaporization is what will differentiate a great carburetor from a poorly performing and gas sucking one.

There is an average of about 40 horsepower at street RPM's between a carburetor with Down leg boosters and then taking that carburetor, removing the down leg/dog leg boosters and installing the annular boosters. The difference in the manners of the engine is night & day. I've also seen upwards of 5 MPG gains that way, too.

Email: camshaftshaun@gmail.com
jeffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

Depends,did the previous owner change the heads or did he just slap a 2 barrel intake on the 4 barrel heads.If he left the 4 barrels heads on,you can change the intake back to 4 barrel and install a 600 to 1100 cfm carburetor.The larger the cfm,more gas into the engine.If i remember right,they came with a FoMoCo carb stock.

I'm sure some one will suggest carbs in a minute but I'd go with a 650 to 850 cfm Holly dominater.
Claudius is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Are you sure he changed it. The 1968 Mustang with a 5.0L 302 came with a 2 barrel or a 4 barrel, depending on how it was ordered. Have you checked the vehicle plate to see what it was spec'd with originally? If it was a factory 2 barrel, then the camshaft will be different than if it came from the factory with a 4 barrel. You need to check to be sure. Then you can worry about size, heads and intakes.
A 600 CFM will be more than sufficient.
1985 Mustang 5.0 had a 600 Holley, and also the 600 Holley was used on many Chevy motors. One that immediately comes to mind is the 1966 Corvette with a 327 cu in 350 horsepower motor.
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

A 2 barrel. Unless you also buy a manifold meant for a 4 barrel. You have some reading up to do.
columbanus is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs