What would I be looking to pay at a muffler shop for this job? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

What would I be looking to pay at a muffler shop for this job?

Okay I've never been to a muffler shop and I don't know how they charge people for work, but it's Sunday tomorrow so nothing is open, that is why I am asking this.

Basically I got a 1973 Mustang with a duel exhaust. Both pipes are 1.5 inchs from the end of the headers to the back. The header collector is 3 inchs and I want the entire exhaust converted to 3 inchs from front to back.

Please give estimate on how much I would be looking to pay at a shop, or and how much I would be looking to pay if I just did it all myself?
Aethelhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #2

If you take it to the shop it should cost you about 200 for labor and for parts it depend which brand you want.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:44 AM   #3

I imagine they will not even entertain the idea, your pipes need to be smaller than the manifold collector especially if they are headers, because in 73 they didn't put catalitic converters on cars there is no back pressure and you wil burn up your valves. They might suggest a 2.5 inch pipe. If they don't put a catalitic converter on it but install a muffler or glass pack then depending on parts I would imagine 500 bucks. Upgrade your heads and headers before
Garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You can go on line to flow master mufflers and they can send you what you need at about 1/2 the cost and install it your self. 150.00 ruff guess.
lorren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you find a good shop they usually want at least a couple hundred bucks, but 3 inch is too much, there will not be enough back pressure and the engine will have no power and run like crap. depending on if the engine is stock at the most a 2 1/2 inch from collector to the tailpipe. Finding a cheap but good muffler shop is always a challenge. If you have a local mechanic that you trust, call and ask for a referral to a good local shop (thats what I do) some times you find some good ol boys that are not so greedy. Some shops will overcharge a lot if they think they can get away with it.
greid is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs