Recently acquired a 1972 Mustang Mach 1 which has been 95% restored.? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Recently acquired a 1972 Mustang Mach 1 which has been 95% restored.?

We are finishing the restoration. On the trunk to the right of the Mach 1 decal, there are three holes in the back panel drilled and I think we need a metal name Mustang (sort of written) to go there. Can't find it in any pics, does anybody know? Also would like to know how to tell which cleveland engine is in it. There must be a tag or plate somewhere under the hood with these specs. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance
Kristofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

hmmmm, well I have a 72 Mach 1 as well and this is what the back of mine looks like.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...IMG_0957-1.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing holes for one during the restoration either, so it may have had a metal "mustang" name logo on the back like you said if it was not an original mach, or if it was a replacement trunk.

I know w/ ours one of the fender panels had been replaced and did have the 3 holes for the mustang name logo of a regular 71-3 mustang (though w/ ours we filled them in)

Really,the best way to figure out what you've actually got is to check the VIN on the dash, and the data tag on the drivers side door. The VIN will tell you the general info
(year,plant built, type,engine,etc)

And the data tag will give you info more specific to the car itself
(exterior/trim colors,trans,axle,original dealer location)

Basically for a 72 mach, the VIN should start w/ a 2 for 1972, then either an F,R, or T for the plant it was built at, (for example mine has an F for the dearborne plant) and then have an "05" to tell you it's a legit Mach 1. Otherwise you will probably see an 02 if it's just a fastback/sportroof.

Also the engine code will be a LETTER....for the 351's it will either be a Q,R, or H. For an example,mine is an H because it was originally the 2 Barrel Carb 351C (though we upgraded it to a 4 barrel) if you see an F or L it was not originally a 351
micheal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm going to assume by the fact you never came back/chose a best answer it turned out to NOT be a legit mach 1
twrgadarn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I have a seen a few 1972 Mustangs that have the "Mustang" name plate on the trunk lid of the right side, but they are not a Mach 1. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/photo...p/photo/140951 It could be possible that an incorrect trunk lid was put on your Mach 1 during restoration.
fane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:54 PM   #5

As far as the "Cleveland" engine goes, there was, and is only one.......... 351 cubic inch. Try this link for those three holes. It may have been a dealers name plate. try this; hemmingsmotornews.com there are 3 of them listed, right now.
Darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Look on the corner of the head for a 2 or 4, that tells you if its the big port 4 barrel heads on your 351C..also check your vin for the engine code..

Check out our group for support and decoders..

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/classicmustang/
luther is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1972 mustang