Will I wreck the historic value of this 1960's mustang if I repaint it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Will I wreck the historic value of this 1960's mustang if I repaint it?

So, I'm buying my first car soon. It's my neighbors 1969 mustang, I'm in highschool and its a bit of a fixer, anyways, it's white and I've always believed that these old mustangs look best in black. So, if I had it repainted black at a professional paint shop will the appreciation rate and historic value go down. I know if you put A/C or anything new in the cars it goes down.
riordain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

No, but you will add to the value of it..
sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #3
on
Registered Member
Regular

classic mustangs do not make good daily drivers (to say nothing of insurance costs for teens) they lack practically all modern safety features, get lousy mileage (by modern standards), don't handle that well, and can require a lot of maintenance/upkeep w/ the perils of daily driving (as jeff said)

I mean it's mainly why a lot of people who do have classic mustangs don't use them as dailys either. (myself included)

If you do get it, it would probably be a better idea to have it as a project car and get some old/cheap beater as a daily instead. Also keep in mind that classic mustangs ARE NOT CHEAP TO FIX if any major work needs doing on them. So for a teen w/ a probable limited budget they're kind of a stetch.
on is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

you will if you wreck it

seeing as how this is going to be your first car and you're in high school it's a safe bet you have almost no real driving experience (as far as the insurance company is concerned at least) and the track record of most teens in mustangs is not good...plus the more you drive it the higher the odds are that you will hit something/get hit.

So honestly I would just get something else and wait until you have more money and a better driving record to get a classic mustang
cuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Keep in mind that a good paint job will cost at least a few thousand dollars. Is it worth spending that much on your first car, which you'll drive every day? A daily driver will get scratches etc. no matter how careful you are.

Read the source link below (and the source link in that answer) for information about painting a car.
aescleah29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #6

YES it will reduce the value UNLESS if you give it an original coat

for example, if the black is the exact type of black that mustangs were made in in 1960 then it won't lose its value as it will be considered as a restoration repaint.
Abukcheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

it only ruins value if you do it personally. i think as long as u stick with colors that those cars came out of the factory with then you should be fine.
beamann is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs