1971 mustang pulls right under hard braking? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1971 mustang pulls right under hard braking?

it has drum brakes all around. before i replaced the driver side wheel bearing it would pull left all the time under normal braking but now i replaced it and adjusted the drum brake it doesn't pull left anymore but now it pulls right, i'm gunna adjust the drum brake to see if it helps but would like to know if it could be anything else that cause it to pull right when braking hard, even doing like 3mph and slamming on brakes i could see the steering wheel start spinning right.
abiram is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

check whele cylenders pull ruber cup back an see if leaking or gumd up had this problim with drum brakes aan would lock up when get wet . an fron disk came out . an this problim went away if whele cylenders are good . have to adjust to compensate
azuriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I think I answered this question already,but anyways you will need to get someone that knows how to set drum brakes,they are totally different from disk brakes and ever who you find to adjust them really needs to have the experience with drum brakes. I know that when setting them you need to have both front wheels off the ground,and first thing you do is loosen the brake shoes with the special tool called a brake spoon,loosen them enough so that you can spin the wheel freely then begin tightening them until you cant free spin it and go to the next wheel and do the same once you get them both set the same your problem will be solved.But you really need to get someone with the know how because these types of brakes are a whole different ballgame.
gilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Try adjusting all four brakes and see if it still pulls to one side. If it does, I suspect a dragging caliper and or alignment.
tedmund is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1971 mustang