How much would it cost to fix up a 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2011, 08:15 PM   #1

How much would it cost to fix up a 1964 1/2 Ford Mustang?

My grandparents have had one w/ a ruined interior and smashed windows sitting in their garage for years. I knew it was a mustang, but not being the most car-savvy person, I had no clue that this was one of the first types of mustangs made (or so I've been told, like I said I'm not good with cars lol)

If you're unsure of what they look like, here you go:http://students.cis.uab.edu/wpanik/1964.5.jpg

The main things that need to be fixed are the windows/interior, but I may also need a new engine and whatnot (seeing as it hasn't been driven in about 20 years or so when my mom was a kid). If you need to know anything else, please ask, and I'll try my best to tell you what I know

Oh, and one final thing, I do plan on doing this myself for the most part (may have to get the windows/interior professionally repaired, though).
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 08:27 PM   #2

Best thing to do is look it over from top to bottom. Get a pencil and a piece of paper and start making a list. If its been sitting for that long the list will be long, but you can buy anything you can think of for these cars. Check the frame rails for rust front and rear. Floor pans are another common problem. If all that looks good you just saved $5000.00 in parts and labor. Brakes will need to be completely replaced. Possible gas tank. Any rubber component will need to be replaced. Belts, hoses, brake lines and gas line. Glass is readily available as well as interior. Engine if you can get it running will need gaskets, seals, carb rebuilt or replaced, oil and filter and a good flush at minimum. As well as a complete tune up. Buy a book and turn some wrenches that's the only way to learn. If you can do most of the work yourself you will have at least $10,000 in it with a cheap paint job. And one last thing pull all the plugs out of engine and put some oil in the cylinders and let it sit. Then rotate the engine with a pull handle and socket. Do not just put a battery in it and try to crank it.
carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

PartingOut.com is about to be flooded with MoPart and classic parts/cars so save by finding those key parts on PartingOut.com
Felten is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #4

A decent restoration will run you about 30 grand. that's top to bottom.
Bardolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

have a 69 so far just over $30,000 and still no paint
dario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

Make a list and look in "jcwhitney.com" for parts, then scout out a good body shop. The engine may be seviceable, but you won't know until you run it and have it checked. The other guy said, " 30 grand" and he's talking about back to showroom condition. That's pretty steep for a car that originally sold for less than $3000. The original Mustang will always be popular, though it wasn't all that spectacular back in '65. Robert MacNamara hated putting a V8 in it because of the fuel consumption. Sometimes the chairman is wrong.
conlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

everything for a Mustang is available on the secondary marked --whole industry for the Mustang--multiple car clubs--you don't say how old you are so I'll just give it shot and say teenager--good time to start learning about a car--you can buy the window glass and replace it your self - buy a couple of good books about mustangs(search on internet)--may even be able to buy service manual at autozone or they may be able to order for you--you can order complete interiors you can install yourself--as for the engine-unless it is completely frozen up or has a rod hanging out the side of the block it can be rebuilt(not cheap!!!) is it automatic?(trans can be rebuilt) if its standard it should do for a while-they usually don't go bad just sitting except for the occasional leak at front input shaft and rear main shaft(where the drive shaft goes in)--if the body is in fair shape just drive it like it is til you make up your mind what color you want to paint it(last thing to do)--cost?? well better start saving your pennies cause it all costs money--when you are thru-hey its your car and you build it--nothing like that feeling!! GO FOR IT!!!!
birtingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:06 PM   #8

This car is really amazing.. Unfortunately that this car has several problems that will cost you a lot.. I am not sure how much you would find the parts for but the things is that you are able to tune your car as the way you want.. and one solution if your car's engine is dead.. you better buy a new good engine such as Mustang Shelby engine but this will cost you a lot. There is a place for cars that are totaled .. and perhaps you can find a crashed Shelby or any such cars like that and buy its engine..

For the windows.. go to the glass shop and ask them for details.. and probably they can tell you where you can get cheap ones.. I think the Mustang windows is similar to the Trans AM but I am not sure about that..

For the interior.. there are good stores that can fix your total interior but perhaps it will cost much.. you might only need to do the seats there if it was ruined and the rest of the stuff probably you can do it by your own..

This car is a treasure!! so make sure that you take care of it and make it more beautiful .. the 1964 Mustang and the 1969 Camaro are my best Classic cars..

You can always refer to Google to find more information.. wish you all the best and hopefully you enjoy driving it later..

One more thing..... Do not change the car to be more modern! the car is designed to be classic.. so make sure you keep the interior in a classic look.. but yea the thing that you can change from its original is as I said the engine and probably the gearbox so it can handle the more horsepower you get in the engine.. because I know a friend who got an old Camaro.. then one day the gearbox stopped working..
Fayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs