Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Crap load of Mustang problems D:?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Kristofer 
#1 ·
Alright, so I have a 1973 Mustang that is being a serious punk. I think it's a Grande. Not quite sure. I got it for my birthday from a guy who treated it like crap. So all sorts of stuff is modified and basically I'm not sure what style of 73 it is. Regardless, I hope that doesn't interfere with the answers I'm trying to get

So first question. How the heck do I get the lock off my trunk? I got the trunk open by unbolting some things, but the lock is still locked and I wanna go get a new key for it (we don't have the original). So how do I get the trunk lock altogether unattached?

Second. I have water coming in on all four corners. I know that the problem in the back seats is due to the fact that water is trickling down through a crack in between the tiny rear windows, and my door. However, I'm not sure how to stop this. The weather stuff looks all cracked and open, but Idk if replacing all of that that would solve the problem. In the front, on the passenger side, I sprayed water into the vent in front of the windshield, and water came trickling inside pretty much everywhere. And on the driver side I sprayed water onto the windshield and it seems like its coming in where the weather stripping looks bad. So idk.

Third. I'm trying to charge my battery (brand new), and something's been shorting out and draining my battery even when the car's not running. We can usually get it started by doing a jump, but I tried using a car charger and it's not working, even though it works fine on the other cars that my parents own. So any idea as to what that could be?

My dad is out of town and can't help me with my car. And he's stuck so he's prolly not gonna be back for a few weeks. So, basically, I'm not expecting perfect answers, but any links to forums or websites that have really good explenations of this stuff would be great. Absolutely any help would be amazing. Thanks guys :)

See less See more
#2 ·
That's the last year for the classic Mustangs, the Grande has a vinyl top. to look for a short, touch one of the cables to the battery and watch for any sparks, there shouldn't be any, unless the door is open..pull all the fuses and check again, replacing them one at a time. don't get them mixed up. Try removing the parking and tail lamps. You can check to see if the car is charging by removiing a cable while it's running, if it dies, there is a problem with the alternator or regulator..replace as a pair..the battery should be disconnected when you are charging it, if it doesn't come up,then it's no good.. you can shop around and get a used battery at places like Interstate batteries for about $30..

photo of 73 Mustang Grande and specs.
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/featuredvehicles/mump_0809_1973_mustang_grande_hardtop/index.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.