Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Can i put magnaflow mufflers on a JBA shorty header / h pipe setup on my 1968 mustang coupe? (289)?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Fitz 
#1 ·
Can i put magnaflow mufflers on a JBA shorty header / h pipe setup on my 1968 mustang coupe? (289)?

Yes you can.

#2 ·

Yes. Keep the pipes small. That engine stock will make more power and torque with 2 inch pipes than with anything bigger. You don't have the Cubes/CFM movement through the pipe and engine to make the pipe scavenge the intake. If you want to gain about 35HP and 40 lbs of torque, put a single 2 -1/4 exhaust on there with a dual outlet muffler(for the dual look.) You'll have enough exhaust system to handle up to about 275 HP. Singles will ALWAYS make more torque and HP on a naturally aspirated engine, up to 7,000 RPM. Done right, you'll see bigger power and more gas mileage, too. It's a win-win.

Everyone thinks it's about breathing. It's actually about scavenge. If you build enough scavenge in the pipe, you'll scavenge the intake harder during the overlap phase.

Email: camshaftshaun@gmail.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.