Suggest modifications for a 1973 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2011, 04:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Suggest modifications for a 1973 Mustang?

I got a beautiful 1973 Mustang 302 with basically everything stock. I was wondering what types of modifications I could make to the engine or interior to get more fun out of it? I wouldn't mind making it louder. I was thinking of putting Hooker Headers on it, and maybe a flowmaster exhaust. Also I got a 2 barrel carb, thinking of buying a Holley 4 barrel.

I am sort of new to this muscle car thing, and basically what I listed is all I know as far as upgrades go. Can anyone suggest anything else that will add performance, engine life, or maybe more sound etc? I'll give best answer to the person with the most ideas and/or most detail.
iseabail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 04:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I would take the engine out and put it on a stand.

I would snag a 5.0 roller engine...Why because they are cheap and give you a better platform on a budget. Invest in some GT40P heads off of a later year 5.0 explorer. A ford racing E cam would be a nice start. A MSD Ready to run distributor and a MSD box, A summit dual plane intake and a 600-650 carb and you would be close to 300 HP at the rear wheels (over double what you got now) Headers and dual exhaust and your good to go.

These parts are always for sale new or used and cheap, by the time you mod your other one its gonna cost more.

Then if you ever want to change it back to stock later on in life you can just swing that engine back in and its numbers matching again. If you bought all those perf. parts new for your engine it would cost more then buying all those parts on forums for your engine you have now.
annawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #3

Since 73 is the last/weakest year of the long nosers I would just do minor mods to the engine but nothing over the top.

I have a 72 Mach 1 w/ a 351C and we did mods like a 4 barrel carb, ported heads, none-stock camshaft, and bored the cylinders a bit, to get a bit more power for normal driving and it worked.

Also if you have the mach hood you can do ram air, though whether it's worth the cost depends on who you talk to
marlon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #4

Keep it all dead stock. Any changes you want to make would do nothing to enhance the "cool" factor of having this classic. If you do make changes, keep the original parts so that you can return it to stock when you decide to sell.
Donny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

if all you have is original and it is running good
do not mess it up

if it aint broken don't fix it!!!!!
marcelinho is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1973 mustang