1971 mustang pulls left when braking? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

1971 mustang pulls left when braking?

Its been pulling to the left when i would kind of brake hard and after awhile the driver side wheel bearing went out ( idk if that why it pulled left ) so i just replaced myself not to long ago but it still pulls to the left when i would brake hard, i didn't replace the drum brakes because i didn't have enough money for a full drum brake repair kit...is that why? and i notice when i parked it just a bit ago i slammed on the brake to see what would happen ( only doing like 3mph ) the steering wheel would start spinning right any idea? also when i did the wheel bearing i'm sure i did it right i got the wheel on and the wheel didn't wiggle at all it was nice and tight.
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #2

Sounds like you have a seized brake piston. Its the part on the brake that pushes on the pad when you add pressure to the brakes. Its probably not the rear brakes causing the problem because of the steeringwheel moving when you stomp on the brakes.

There are seals on the piston which can be replaced, or moisture has creeped behind the rubber protecting the piston and corroded, take your front brakes off and have them reconditioned.

Also, how tight did you do the bearing up ? If you jack the car up on the front, do both wheels spin freely ?
Walworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:11 PM   #3

you mentioned drum brake kit if you have drum brakes you need to get them adjusted properly,if the left front brake shoes are to tight then it will pull to the left ,and you will need to loosen them up a bit.I would suggest that you take it and have them adjusted by a qualified tech or get someone to help you adjust them.The drum brakes are very tricky to adjust. That sounds like where your problem is at. hope this helps and good luck.
Tyesone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Check your front tires for uneven wear. If the inner or outer edges of that tire are wearing differently it's likely that you need an alignment.

Other things that may cause a car to pull to one side are as follows:

Bad Tire
Tie Rods
Idler Arms
Ball Joints
Bent Wheel
Mismatched Tires
Bad Brake Caliper
Front End Alignment
Out of Balance Wheel
Low air pressure in Tire

Go through the above list and see which of those you can eliminate. You should have your answer or at least have the source of the problem narrowed in scope somewhat.
Branwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

i would check your brakes and tire pressure next,,,,
keandre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #6

Front left brake hanging up. It could be adjusted too tight, or sticking
imported_Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Most likely a bad drivers side wheel cylinder or hardware is failing causing it to pull to the right upon braking...I assume you packed the wheel bearing sufficiantly enought before replacing?
thornton is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1971 mustang