What should I know about a 1968 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

What should I know about a 1968 Mustang?

I'm planning on getting a 1968 Mustang. Since there older they might need to be worked on more. And I would like to do most of the work myself. But the problem is I know nothing about this car's technology so I was wondering. What things should I know about this car?
-Thanks(:
imported_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

You should know that the car is 43 years old, and that it will cost you an arm and a leg for insurance.

Assuming that it has been well maintained throughout its lifetime, (probably not!) maintenance shouldn't be much of a problem, but go buy yourself a good service manual for the car and spend some time reading through it BEFORE the car breaks down.

Also, before you buy it, check underneath for rust. Pull back the carpets and see what condition the floorboards are in. Rocker panels can also have lots of rust, and are expensive to repair. I have a good local mechanic that I know and trust, and I always have him inspect any older used car I am considering before I make a final offer to the seller.

Good Luck, and don't say I didn't warn you!
birtingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

you should know they make lousy first cars/daily drivers (if that's why you're trying to do)

and these days nice 60's mustangs can cost almost as much as/more than new mustangs....and even more on top of that if you plan on buying one to restore.
Kristofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #4

How to set points and set timing. Carburetor adjustment and over haul would be nice too.
Most of the rest of the technology has not changed.
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1968 mustang