Rear Axle wheel bearing blown out? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #1
Dru
Registered Member
Regular

Rear Axle wheel bearing blown out?

I have a 1970 mustang and recently the wheel bearing started making a lot of noise. It's been making a clicking noise during engine braking for close to a year now, but it's never been a problem. I recently swapped the transmission and all of the sudden the bearing is making an incredibly loud clicking noise. It only happens when the car is not accelerating or braking. As soon as I hit the breaks the clicking stops, and as long as I can physically feel the car accelerating the noise doesn't happen.

I took the wheel off and the brake drum off and saw no damage. I also removed the axle rod to make sure that the splines weren't stripped out and they were fine. I
couldn't see any physical damage to the bearing but don't know what else it could be. ? got under the car and turned the wheel and the clicking is definitely coming from the bearing area. And ideas? Or is it definitely the bearing?

Thanks in advanced,
Tim
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 06:00 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Could be one or all of several things; Bad Read Axel Bearings will leave "Scoring/ Marks" on the Axel Shafts, Bad Diffo. Sometimes will leave marks on the Axel Splines (The only way to check is to remove the Cover and check the Ring Gear and Spider Gears), Rear Brake Hardware sounds to be Bad
felippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #3

the noise could be coming from the rear u-joint. did,nt you check the bearing when you had the axle out? all that,s on the axle is the bearing and seal. if the bearing is too bad then there will be a lot of play in the axle. shake the axle up and down and go in and out to see how much play it has.
Caolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

it could be a bearing issue you could either take it out and inspect it or take it to a shop if you arent able to do it yourself but you really cant tell that is it definently could be alot of rear end parts
harry92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #5

if you went as far as pulling the axle, WHY didnt you just replace the bearing then ??
Reuben is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs