What's a good affordable classic muscle car to get? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:30 AM   #1

What's a good affordable classic muscle car to get?

I'm turning 18and I'm planning to get a muscle car. yes.. It's a bad idea to start out, but I don't really care anymore, The pride and joy of having American muscle has outgrew me.
So yea, What's a good muscle car. I know the Chargers, Nova's, and Mustangs. Which else am I missing? From V6 to V8. I remember Ford some V6 1967 Mustangs if I'm correct. I don't mind at all repairing and transforming.
AFFORDABLE PLEASE!
Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 01:25 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

so with this price range you are basically looking for a beater you can fix up

possibilities
Ford Mustang
Chevy Camaro
Ford Mach 1
Pontiac Grand Prix or Grand Am or Firebird

$9000 won't touch a Shelby Cobra or a Corvette or a high end Camaro
most likely

get a Ford or Chevy - because you have a better chance of getting parts

expect to do a lot of work on the car and do it yourself
you probably won't get a mint condition car in your price range

I like the early thunderbirds also

you never know what is out there who who has a nice car.
one time I saw this old lady 1990's whose husband died and the car had been
covered up for 30 years - so under the tarp was a 1965 Thunderbird
in pristine almost new condition - she just couldn't part with the car
and just let it sit there for 30 years. It was SWEEEEEEET
but not for sale.
ferrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

There are a bunch of mutually exclusive terms in your request.

If you are looking for a beater/project, it is tough to go wrong with the Mustang, as they made tons of them and there are lots of parts. Novas are pretty good too--not as ridiculously inflated as the early Camaros and Chevelles.

After the 1st gen Mustang, my favourite was the 2nd generation Firebird/Trans Am. Such a clean and fast looking car. Tons of these around too.
kent12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 02:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

the challenger from the fast and the furious
brydger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:26 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

This dealer by my house had the sickest Plymouth Barracuda for 9,500. I wanted it bad. Also of course the Camaro.
drogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:09 AM   #6

Toyota Yaris!
Bardolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

whats your price range?
nyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:56 AM   #8

dont say the word v6 around a muscle car they do not fit. There are lots of different types of small v8 that ford and chevy made, personally I would look for a small block 60s early 70s chevy of some kind , they were simple, easy to fix and if you find the right one for you it will be a decent daily driver and good on gasChevy made a small 260 v8 in many cars it had good power for what it was and did good on gas, the 283 was a long time strong running motor that could be pumped out into a power house small block, and with a 4 speed a lot of fun to drive. The 327 has long been a sleeper of a v8 and unless you were a hard core chevy nut not a lot of people were that familiar with them It ran on premium and was a fun rocket ship to get ahold of in a light car, it was not as strong off the line as the 350 and the 350 could outrun it up to a 120 or so but once that 327 started revving in the top end of the rpm range it would rip past a 350 like it was parked, problem was you were going really fast by the time that happened. and 327 was not good on gas. dont get the 305 or the 307 these were garbage motors.
for you general all pourpose muscle car motor the 350 is the one with the cheapes high dollar parts that can make you tons of horsepower and is probably the best way to go, with a turbo 350 transmission it works darn good and if you can find one put together right already it saves you a lot of research. It is far better to find a car already running, than to try and do it yourself if you do not have axcess to a shop full of tools and some good people with know how. affordable is a relative word, some cars like impala for example had 4 doors, this would be cheaper both to buy, and to insure, especially if you are young.
Ford I like but not if I have to own one and fix it, I had so many 10 dollar ford parts go bad, it got depressing, but only because a ten dollar part could side line your car, chevrolet does not have that problem, and thats why when you look at those old 30s and 40s and 50s and 60s and other dodge or ford or they all put a chevy 350 drive train in them.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs