Can I put a V8 in my 1974 Mustang? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2011, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Can I put a V8 in my 1974 Mustang?

so I have a 1974 mustang with only a 4 cylinder and it has a 4 speed manual trany, I don't want a 4 banger in my mustang so Is there any V8 that will mount up to the trany, or will a V8 tweak my frame or something!!!
darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

74 mustang 4 cylinder to v8 swap in your web search box and click. This will take you to a results page that has plenty of information. The frame will do fine, you will need to do springs and shocks for a v8 and if you use a 302 aka 5.0 this will make it much easier to do. You will also need a transmission a driveline and a rear end because the 4 banger stuff will not work. If you had a donor parts car like a grenada or some of the other cars that hav a v8 driveline you will be better off. It is a lot more work to do it this way, than to go buy a 74 with a v8 in it. good luck If you go with the v8 swap you will not regret it, there are plenty of high performance 302 that would make one bad to the bone mustang. good luck do the research first.
corren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The 74 Mustang II could be had with a wimpy 302 V8 back in the day. Therefore one might go in the space. However, I can promise that the transmission would not be able to stand up to the power input of any kind of performance engine. It would be best to replace both. Then you need to find a capable welder to help beef up the frame, otherwise, with just a little "fun" type of driving, you will notice that the doors don't fit so well any more.
Keaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Anything is possible but what you want will cost you more money than buying a new 5.0 liter Mustang. OK, you get an engine. The chances are that it will not be new and will have to rebuilt. The tranny will need to changed and so will the driveshaft and the rear end. The frame will be strengthened. The brakes will need to be replaced and so will the shocks. You will need an adapter kit for the V8 and you will need a new flywheel. You will also need a new clutch. After you have spent $30,000 to make the car you want, you will still own a 74 Mustang that's practically wortheless to being with.
panteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The 302 is a good choice and while the 74 302 was down in horse power a more modern one is not. Post 86 302's would be a good swap. The transmission can take plenty of horses, but a new five speed would be better. Changing over to a hydraulic clutch is a little work, but on a scale of 1-10 its maybe a three (where 10 is the most difficult). Might as well go for the transmission bracket for duals while you are at it.
But it would not be difficult to go for a 351 W, it would not take up that much extra room.
Unless you want it raked to the front end new springs will be needed too.
It might be wise to put bigger brakes on it and find a Ford 9" for the rear. If you have big buck or can find a sweet deal mounting up a IRS out of one of the other Ford products that had then would be a nice up-date.
westbroc12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yes u can put a v8 in it. they came factory with v8,v6,or i4. You would have to change a few things like motor mounts,rear end,drive shaft,tranny maybe the tranny cuz i no from 79 to 93 all u have to change with the tranny is the front shaft.and bell housing thats if its a stadard. the frame will hold up just fine. u might want to change the brakes also cuz more power requires more stopping power. but its deff. possible with some time and money. good luck with your project. You dont need a hydralic clutch. My 87 5.0 has a cable clutch. I have a stage 3 Center force clutch in mine and im very happy with it. Its either engaged or disengaged no in between ****. theres no slipping it it is tight and grabs awesome. I have roughly 400hp and that clutch will hold every bit of i have to give it plus some.i would put a 86 to 95 engine in with the fuel injection u just have to use the wire harness from the car you get it from and the ecu. my mustang has a 93 cobra computer and wire harness in it. it dont have a rev limiter which i found out the hardway when the throttle stuck wide open during a street race and was turning 7 grand on my 5 inch autometer tach. the bottom end of my engine is stock but thats the only thing that is.
caius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Oh blow me. The 302 in that little 'stang was a hoot even with an automatic. Plenty of power and lots of goodies available to add more poot and I ain't talkin 'bout goofy air cleaners and junk. Real performance parts. Have a look
cedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:52 PM   #8

if it came factory with the 4 cylinder you will have to change the rear end and beef up the front end. the v8 will tear the 4 cylinder rear end out. plus you will have to change the bell housing. that 4 cylinder bell won,t bolt up to that v8.
Jian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

They didn't offer it in 74, but did in 75 and up. They did move the radiator forward for more clearance, just use the 75 mounts.
Kody is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1974 mustang