Mustang chokes when i press gas pedal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Mustang chokes when i press gas pedal?

I have a 1973 mustang and when i accelerate the engine stops for a second and then starts real fast. Whats up?
chaakmongwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 06:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the accelerator pump cup seal in the carburetor has hardened or cracked and is not giving enough pump shot to the venturies when accelerating! You will probably need to overhaul the carb. What engine does this mustang have 351C?
cingeswiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Start with the basics. Your car requires a clean air cleaner...cleaner than fresh white toilet paper.
If your air cleaner looks kinda like it has been used once or twice (that brownish tinge) buy a new one - a couple of bucks at Wal~Mart.

Spark plugs only last 12,000 miles(a year) before they start not working perfectly. Replace them.
Ignition system (points, cap, rotor) also wear out. Spark wires, if they look good and new should be OK(unless they are the originals) as they age too) Get a complete set.

The carb "might" be sucking air through the vacuum lines. Buy a spray can of disc brake cleaner and while the engine is idling , spritz the rubber hoses that connect to the carb or manifold and see if the engine idle speed changes in any way. Stalling or speeding up is an indication that there is a leak there(where it is suppose to be tight). Fix by cutting the hose shorter and sticking it back on as the original end that was connected is cooked rock hard(so not grabbing to the outlet pipe on the carb or manifold. If you need new hose - take the old one in the auto-parts store with you and buy new hose. These are simple fixes anybody can do and my fix it up right there and then.
lysander is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I like to try the least expensive fixes first:

Check out your Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valves.

See links below for detailed information:
eimhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hi
The other guys have good ideas. So to tune that car get a vacuum gauge and follow the instructions. With out it, it is all guess work. You can tune three or more carbs on one engine with it.
hastiin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

73? it would have a carburetor so it can be the accelerator pump in the carburetor.
eder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs