1964 to 1970 Mustang VIN number question about automatic/manual and engine size? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

1964 to 1970 Mustang VIN number question about automatic/manual and engine size?

I am interested in getting a 1964 to 1970 Ford Mustang and wanted to know which VIN numbers only came in manual and which ones only in automatic or both. I know that they have C code and R code but didn't want to waste my time looking at ones that only came in manual. So my question is which codes are automatic and which are manual for the years 1964 to 1970, particularly 1968-69. Also I wanted to know how much horsepower came with each code? Any and all information will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have any extra info or insights to share. I wouuld also be interested in knowing which of these VIN codes or year models you would get and why?
arvad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

1964 to 1970 Mustang VIN number question about automatic/manual and engine size?

Check out this website, it has a decoder and basic production info for 1964 1/2 thru 1970 Mustangs. Ford didn't include transmission codes in their VIN numbers in the 60s and 70s, so the VIN won't tell you whether it was a manual or auto, or anything else other than assembly plant, production year, body type, engine, and the six digit serial number. There are ways of researching this info, but you have to dig pretty deep into the archives on some of the rare models.
law64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The Mustangs that i know that came with factory 4 speeds were the 1969 and 1970 Boss 302 Mustangs, not sure of the VIN on those, but a real Boss 302 is a 4 speed only. The 1967 GT is a 4 speed car there is also a GTA meaning automatic. The GT is used in 1968 but the GTA is dropped and it becomes an option to have a 4 spd or Automatic GT Mustang. Most of the cars are optioned with automatic or stick shift.
garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You are not going to find trans info just from the VIN only the engine. The rest of the car info is on the Vehicle Certification Label located on the rear face of the left door. Trans codes for 64.5 to 66 are all a number code 67 and up have a number code for manuals and a letter code for autos.
nahcomence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

the transmission code is only given in the second line of the data plate and not the vin number, check the decoders, some use different codes..
wetherly is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1970 mustang