Number of hours to replace a clutch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Number of hours to replace a clutch?

I was planning on replace the clutch on my 1978 mustang myself, but its about 3 Degrees in Wisconsin right now, and I for one, choose death...eh?

How many hours of labor could I expect to pay to have the clutch set changed out in an older, rear wheel drive vehicle such as this? Im guessing 2 or maybe 3 hours tops?
napier29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 05:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Two or three hours for a first time clutch repair is very optimistic. Three hours is doable in that time if you have the right tools and someone who has done it before. You need to jack the vehicle high enough to get the tranny out and rent a transmission jack for ease and safety

I would guess more like 4 to 5 hours, maybe even 6-8 hours if you have to make multiple trips trips to the auto parts store. Without a grease rack, it is hard to maneuver the tranny in and out in the tight fitting spaces. things like getting those 2-4 top bolts in and torquing them can take 30 minutes or more by themselves on some vehicles.

It's worth it, though.

P.S. Sorry, I missed the part about paying for someone else to do the clutch job. It normally doesn't matter how long it actually takes. They have books (for mechanics) that list the length of time that it takes to perform routine service tasks like replacing a clutch. Most shops refer to these and quote you based on these estimated times. Any competent mechanic can do most of these jobs in less time. I think that the times listed for most clutch jobs is 4-5 hours, whereas, a good mechanic can do it in 2-3 hours with a grease rack and parts in hand if there is no major resurfacing of the flywheel..
imported_dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 AM   #3

Average time depending on if the flywheel needs to be cut or replaced, is about 4 hours with a tech that knows or has experience in these cars. But expect to leave the car there for the whole day, sometimes they dont get right to your car right away.
good luck........
imported_burn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

3-4 Hours is normaly enough time to change most rear wheel drive clutches but i've never done a Mustang clutch
quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #5

You haven't done it before? 4-5 hours easily. Don't forget the pb blaster and a breaker bar.
Garrard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #6

8 hours
felipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs