Does my 1978 Mustang II have a choke? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #1

Does my 1978 Mustang II have a choke?

I just bought a 78 Mustang II with the 302 in it. I was wondering if/ what kind of choke it has. I have been told some are automatic, electric, manual, some you push the gas pedal down....etc...

I just need to know what type it has because it seems like it take alot of cranking to get it going when starting cold.

Dont answer with som BS like "look in the manual". I have the Haynes manual, and it didnt come with the owners manual.

Thanks
Adalard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

the Mustangs have all had a automatic choke since day one.. to start, just pump the gas twice, the sets it and primes it, it it's working right that will start it.. they do get dirty because they are heated by exhaust gas..
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 08:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So look on the side of the Carb and see what kind it is. Most of the Ford cars in that time period used a manual choke. Look on the passengers side of the carb and see if there is a round, black, plastic disk at the upper rear of the carb that says "Choke" on it or has an arrow pointing to "Lean" with index marks on the plastic disk and a single reference mark on the carb. Also, since you have the Haynes manual, look under Carb and see what it says the choke type is.
sowingwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 09:55 PM   #4

it is most likely a vacuum choke due to its age. if it was a electrical it would have a wire from the carb to the coil or if it was a manuel choke it would have a nobe in side the car to use the choke.
also if its hard to start it could be out of timing
Tyree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #5

Put the pedal to the floor once and let it back up, this will set the choke. Double check the passenger side of the carb to make sure all the linkage is there, an owner of dubious knowledge may have messed with it at some time.
Vaiveahtoish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Your choke on that car is more likely A heated choke tube with electric assist. Vacuum .sucks air through exhaust manifold and heats up choke thermostat and opens choke till electric contacts connect and keeps choke open until key is turned off.
zachary is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1978 mustang