Could my 1964 1/2 Mustang have a prototype engine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2011, 06:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Could my 1964 1/2 Mustang have a prototype engine?

I have a 1964 1/2 Mustang. I got the car from its second owner with a recently rebuilt engine. The engine is a 260 V8, I have ran the numbers on many different sites and they all say that it should be a V8 engine. But the motor mounts do not fit the car. They are too big, so we had to modify them. I have read that two different 260 V8 engines were used in the early 1964 Mustangs. Is there a way that I have one of these other 260s that were used in the Shelby Cobras, Fairlanes, Comets, and Meteors? If anyone knows anything about the early 1964 1/2 Mustangs and engines, please let me know! I am very curious as to what engine I really have! Thanks!
hobbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #2

the only difference was the bellhousing, the early ones had 5 bolts and in June 64 they went to 6 bolts..

the long motor mounts were for the six cylinder, it would have a U or T code (5th digit in the vin)..
berdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The 260 V8 is a small block that is also the same block as the 289 V8. They bolt into place the same way, you just have the wrong motor mounts, you can buy them brand new at any Mustang restoration shop. Maybe you have the 6 cylinder motor mounts that is why they don't fit, also realize over the years people butcher cars and make changes that are not original. Who knows what the owner did, maybe he switched motors years ago.
panteno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2011, 08:24 AM   #4

As the other respondents to your question stated, you have the wrong motor mounts to your engine. The only other reason for the motor mounts being different, is if the motor came out of a different car body such as a Mercury Comet or a Ford Fairlane.
adamik is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs