Having trouble installing my transmission? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Having trouble installing my transmission?

Hi, I'm currently installing a C4 on my 1967 mustang with an inline 6. It was originally a manual so I've had to collect all the parts for the conversion. Now that I have everything I began to install the transmission and the bellhousing, which is supposed to be for my car and engine (from a mustang retoration place), is not mating with the engine block properly. I can get all the bolt holes lined up correctly, no problems, but there is a guide pin on the driver side rear of the block that seems to be off by about 1/2 inch. Can anyone tell me what the issue is? Is this guide pin really necessary or could I cut it off and grind down the spot? Really need to get this fixed ASAP as this is my daily driver!
JosT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 04:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

silly Q but i gotta ask ..did you remember to remove the pilot bearing from the crankshaft?

im not intimate with the 200 i6 but im sure the guide pins are pressed in not part of the casting so you can probably remove them with a pair of vice grips.
but first i would hold the "spacer plate" up to the tranny or try to fit just the bell housing to the motor to see that the holes are actually mis-aligned, angles can play tricks on your eyes when you got a tranny on your chest!
P.S.
another silly Q . are you sure you got the rite tq converter (1.375" crank pilot not 1.850")
imported_darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You can cut the guide pin off if you don't care that the bell housing tears apart some day when you floor it. Yes, it's important!!!! Do NOT cut it off.
eifion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

The guide pin was for the specific year car it came off of. Grind it down and it will not create any issues for you.
lucan is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs