Lost Bolts in the Floor Pan - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Lost Bolts in the Floor Pan

After removing some rust and putting in new carpet, I lost two bolts in the drivers side floor pan. I was putting the seats back in and everything was fine until the two front seat bolts disappeared into the darkness. Any ideas or tricks on finding them and getting them out? I'm going to try using some magnets after work today, but is there a better way? I tried fishing them out with a wire and couldn't even find them.
Chaunceton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I think your best bet, would be to try using one of the magnet fishing tools that extend to reach
in places you can't see.These type are usually thin and reach pretty far.The only other idea I could think of, is using a small vacuum attachment and checking the contents it suck up.Good luck!
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The vacuum idea wil probably work better than a magnet, since everything is metal. duck tape some panty hose or a piece of screen over the vacuum hose and get it. Otherwise you will have to turn the whole car upside down and shake it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I just don't think there's anyway I'm going to fit a vacuum hose up one of the bolt openings.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunceton View Post
I just don't think there's anyway I'm going to fit a vacuum hose up one of the bolt openings.
You're talking about the access hole on the bottom of the car for the seats. Have you tried to wrap some duct tape around the hook end of a coat hanger to give it a little pad and try to drag it to the opening. It's probably going to be worth just ordering some new bolts or take one set to Lowe's or an auto parts store and match them. They're probably just grade 5 standard bolts.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

You're talking about the access hole on the bottom of the car for the seats. Have you tried to wrap some duct tape around the hook end of a coat hanger to give it a little pad and try to drag it to the opening. It's probably going to be worth just ordering some new bolts or take one set to Lowe's or an auto parts store and match them. They're probably just grade 5 standard bolts.
I didn't try the duct tape, just a wire to try and drag it out. I might give the tape a try if the magnet doesn't work. I will match up the bolt as a last resort, but it would be difficult to drive around knowing that there are two loose bolts bouncing around and chattering under the seat.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I didn't try the duct tape, just a wire to try and drag it out. I might give the tape a try if the magnet doesn't work. I will match up the bolt as a last resort, but it would be difficult to drive around knowing that there are two loose bolts bouncing around and chattering under the seat.
You might try getting a good magnet and wrapping the sides and back of the magnet on a coat hanger to keep it from sticking to the floor pans and only leaving the end open to stick to the bolt. Sounds like my luck with dropping stuff.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

You might try getting a good magnet and wrapping the sides and back of the magnet on a coat hanger to keep it from sticking to the floor pans and only leaving the end open to stick to the bolt. Sounds like my luck with dropping stuff.
Good thinking. I'll give it a try and report back. Yeah I even used a toilet paper roll to prevent the bolt from dropping while threading it. Then when I pulled out the roll, off goes the bolt into the abyss.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Good thinking. I'll give it a try and report back. Yeah I even used a toilet paper roll to prevent the bolt from dropping while threading it. Then when I pulled out the roll, off goes the bolt into the abyss.
Why doncha' just pick up the car and shake it... Eh?

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

Why doncha' just pick up the car and shake it... Eh?
Ahhhh... I should have thought of that earlier.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The magnet and the wire did the trick. Thanks for everybody's help!
Old 01-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yea! Just turn it upside down and shake it. I've done the same thing several times. On my 66 the bolts are on the seat fraimrail and the nuts go on by removing the rubber grommet on the underside of the floorpan It then takes a short socket on an extension to get the nut started then a deep socket to tighten the nut. Does your car have some different arrangement?
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs