My 1969 Coupe Wrapped in Vinyl Before and After What do You Think? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay65 View Post
The car looks great very modern, I've been interested in wrapping and didn't know how it'd turn out on a classic mustang but obviously it did. Where did you put seams at on the main body and on the front end like headlight buckets and what not. If you could post some detailed pictures of seams on curved areas I'd appreciate it, I could send you my email if thatd be easier
Thanks for the feedback I'll try and post some pics later tonight
MG1969Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

For anyone interested, these are some installation pics for a door. I just cut a piece of vinyl about the size of the door, applied the vinyl, and tucked the edges back behind the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3954754064.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	85611   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4235811481.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	85612  

Name:	image-1639219036.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	431.7 KB
ID:	85613   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1760317470.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	341.0 KB
ID:	85614  

Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The car looks great very modern, I've been interested in wrapping and didn't know how it'd turn out on a classic mustang but obviously it did. Where did you put seams at on the main body and on the front end like headlight buckets and what not. If you could post some detailed pictures of seams on curved areas I'd appreciate it, I could send you my email if thatd be easier
Here are some pics of the seams. There are only 2 places on the entire car with seams. Where the rear fender and roof meet and the windshield pillars. For the headlight buckets, I just took them off and put on the vinyl then bolted them back on. You can barely even see the seams.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-4004020452.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	367.2 KB
ID:	85615   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3229464936.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	85617  

Name:	image-107180124.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	358.5 KB
ID:	85618   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4069911854.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	85619  

Name:	image-3237651103.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	85620  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 12:04 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

I figured there would have to be a seam on the rear pillar. I would be applying to a 65 fastback and doing brushed titanium If I went this route so it'd be a smaller seam but you did a very good job and you left a half inch or so too of overlap which is smart. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact I have open scoops upper and lower and will have a open hood scoop to do. This would leave a seam in front of each scoop where you'd have to splice the vinyl if I'm correct and that would be the one reason that would keep me from going this route
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I figured there would have to be a seam on the rear pillar. I would be applying to a 65 fastback and doing brushed titanium If I went this route so it'd be a smaller seam but you did a very good job and you left a half inch or so too of overlap which is smart. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact I have open scoops upper and lower and will have a open hood scoop to do. This would leave a seam in front of each scoop where you'd have to splice the vinyl if I'm correct and that would be the one reason that would keep me from going this route
Yea your fastback has a lot more scoops and curves than my coupe does so it would be difficult. The vinyl is very playable when heated and it can contour to almost any shape so it can be possible to vinyl the scoops or you can cut a small hole in the vinyl where your scoops are and slowly apply the vinyl around the scoops and use a blade to cut out the scoop hole, that's what I did to my side scoops. Then I painted them black. I don't know if that makes sense lol

---------- Post added at 01:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

Quote:
I like the brushed aluminum by the way it looks great, I seen some YouTube videos. Nice fastback too
Old 01-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I love the idea of brushed titanium but I want the car to be extremely clean and that's why I have welded many body lines together and vinyl seams will counter that, and the scoops are custom fabbed out of sheet metal and welded directly to the body so that would be extremely hard to get to look presentable with vinyl I would think, maybe I'll buy a few small sheets and give it a try around the scoop areas. I appreciate the help
Old 01-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Sweet!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea I love the idea of brushed titanium but I want the car to be extremely clean and that's why I have welded many body lines together and vinyl seams will counter that, and the scoops are custom fabbed out of sheet metal and welded directly to the body so that would be extremely hard to get to look presentable with vinyl I would think, maybe I'll buy a few small sheets and give it a try around the scoop areas. I appreciate the help
Oh I see what you are saying, yea it would be difficult. Might as well try a couple small sheets of vinyl just to see if it's possible and how it would come out.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Nice job, looks wicked!
COBRA97CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:11 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Dude your car looks awesome! I want to do the same with my build. Where did you buy the wrap from? Can it be applied to a car that just has primer? (No paint)? Or does the car have to be painted?
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
Dude your car looks awesome! I want to do the same with my build. Where did you buy the wrap from? Can it be applied to a car that just has primer? (No paint)? Or does the car have to be painted?
Thanks I bought the vinyl on amazon from the seller autovinylsolutions. They also have a website I think it's autovinylsolutions.com and you can order directly from them off their website. I'm not sure if it can be applied to primer you can go to their website and get their contact info and ask them. If you are planning on wrapping a whole car I would get a 40x5ft roll of vinyl. They have like every color imaginable, it's pretty cool. One of my other favorite colors they had was black brushed steel, There is a YouTube video of a corvette wrapped in black brushed steel and it looks awesome.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:58 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Cool man.... Thanks..
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

I mean it may depend on what brand vinyl you get but I've heard it actually sticks to primer better. It's poress and allows for better adhesion. And for the OP I didn't know you lived so close, your in Modesto right, I'm right down the road in Clovis, next to Fresno
Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I mean it may depend on what brand vinyl you get but I've heard it actually sticks to primer better. It's poress and allows for better adhesion. And for the OP I didn't know you lived so close, your in Modesto right, I'm right down the road in Clovis, next to Fresno
Oh cool, yea I'm from Modesto CA. I like how your fastback is coming along it looks great, 1965 right? My friends older brother has a 1965 fastback with a 347 stroker pushing close to 500hp.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Dang man that looks good! After seeing how good it looks on yours, I'm considering doing it to my 67
sixty7stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

What all did you use plasti dip on? Did you use the vinyl on the door handles and mirror or did you use plasti dip?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:33 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty7stang View Post
What all did you use plasti dip on? Did you use the vinyl on the door handles and mirror or did you use plasti dip?
I used plasti dip on the bumpers, the inside of the headlight buckets, side scoops, and all the window trim. I used matte black spray paint on the door handles and side mirror

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Dang man that looks good! After seeing how good it looks on yours, I'm considering doing it to my 67
Thanks what color do you want to do?
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1969Coupe View Post
I used plasti dip on the bumpers, the inside of the headlight buckets, side scoops, and all the window trim. I used matte black spray paint on the door handles and side mirror

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

Thanks what color do you want to do?
Thinking about either matte black and not doing anything with the chrome, or doing the same as you. Hope you don't mind if i end up stealing your idea haha
Old 02-12-2013, 10:28 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thinking about either matte black and not doing anything with the chrome, or doing the same as you. Hope you don't mind if i end up stealing your idea haha
Sorry for all the questions too, but what were all the materials you needed to do this?
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha no problem. Matte black would look good

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:18 PM ----------

Quote:

Sorry for all the questions too, but what were all the materials you needed to do this?
I needed alcohol to clean the surfaces vinyl was being applied, 2 felt tip squeegees, a heat gun, 3m primer. All of that was about $80-$90

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Quote:

And of course the vinyl
Old 04-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I know this thread is two months old and I don't mean to change the subject but this is the closest thread I could find the subject I'm looking for (very very awesome mustang BTW the 69 is probably the best year mustang there ever was and ever will be) But I was wondering if anyone had heard of a type of windshield seal that makes it so you dont have the chrome trim around it? I have only heard of it once before but I can't seem to find it on the interwebs.
Streetfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #57
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetfighter View Post
I know this thread is two months old and I don't mean to change the subject but this is the closest thread I could find the subject I'm looking for (very very awesome mustang BTW the 69 is probably the best year mustang there ever was and ever will be) But I was wondering if anyone had heard of a type of windshield seal that makes it so you dont have the chrome trim around it? I have only heard of it once before but I can't seem to find it on the interwebs.
That question would be answered faster if you were to start a new thread.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

when I said that I think the 69 is the best year ever I wasn't hateing on the other years at all (I have a 65)I just realized how that sounded

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I was thinking the same thing But I think I'm to new and don't have enough posts to make one yet

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 AM ----------

thanks for the quick reply tho that was much faster then I had expected
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #59
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetfighter View Post
when I said that I think the 69 is the best year ever I wasn't hateing on the other years at all (I have a 65)I just realized how that sounded

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

I was thinking the same thing But I think I'm to new and don't have enough posts to make one yet
You can start a new thread anytime. Just go to the forum that best suits your question and click on the "New thread" option at the top.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

humm well thanks, I guess its just the other forums Im on that are restrictive sorry for the inconvenience
Old 04-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #61

Great look.......but i prefer the green.
tvanschoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs