New motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2013, 11:14 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
New motor

Okay so I've been on the fence about fixing up my 66. I've decided to just take the plunge already. It has a straight 6 motor and It recently stopped running because of a carb issue I believe and I want to jam a new engine in there, something stronger. Any recommendations? I was thinking a mid 80's 5.0 engine from the foxes. And would the tranny have to be automatic too, since the car is auto? Or can I use a manual tranny?
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Okay so I've been on the fence about fixing up my 66. I've decided to just take the plunge already. It has a straight 6 motor and It recently stopped running because of a carb issue I believe and I want to jam a new engine in there, something stronger. Any recommendations? I was thinking a mid 80's 5.0 engine from the foxes. And would the tranny have to be automatic too, since the car is auto? Or can I use a manual tranny?
You could use a manual transmission. But I'm not sure how hard it would be to track down all the clutch parts needed to make it work. I've done this to a 80's Nissan 240sx and what made it easy was that I bought another 240sx with a manual transmission and just swapped everything over.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
It is very do able but, you will also have to beef up the front suspension and brakes put the cross bars on the upper shock tower to the firewall etc. I have seen to many Mustangs that people just swapped the 6 out and dropped in an 8 to find that in a few months the front end was twisted.
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
U can use the five speed they sell conversion kits
Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, there's that issue of strengthening everything any recommendations of a motor to put in? I'm thinking maybe just keep the auto tranny since the car is auto. Probably cheaper and easier.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It would be cheaper to leave everything auto, as long as things line up underneath. If you have to start modifying floor/firewall for tranny and pedal location then you should just got 5 speed. In an ideal world you should find an 80's fox 5.0 for parts and strip it and slam into yours. I did the conversion on my first 83 fox nose 4cyl. Swapped it out for a 91 302 and 5speed. A headache for sure but the results are amazing! Can't go wrong with a 5.0.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

That sounds awesome. I don't have the expertise to do the swap myself so I'm gonna have a buddy of mine do it if I ever find the motor. But if I change motor, what are the legal issues I'll have to go through? Don't you have to report to DMV?
Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
That sounds awesome. I don't have the expertise to do the swap myself so I'm gonna have a buddy of mine do it if I ever find the motor. But if I change motor, what are the legal issues I'll have to go through? Don't you have to report to DMV?
It's based on the year of the car and not the engine. So you don't have to conform to any smog, cats, etc. just because you put in a newer engine. Unless California has some stupid laws, I don't think you have to worry about anything.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Try and stay away from the "hot" stuff for future resale issues....aside from that you can do pretty much anything you want.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpapaDean View Post
Try and stay away from the "hot" stuff for future resale issues....aside from that you can do pretty much anything you want.
I know that pre 70 something cars you don't have to get smogged. A friend told me you can pretty much do anything you want to the motor even here in Cali. And what do you mean by "hot stuff"
Old 01-15-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lol...hot=stolen. You don't want to spend all that time and money, to find out one day when u get pulled over and that the engine is stolen! I've seen it happen to someone. He ended up loosing his car because he decided to cut corners and pick up a hot 5.0 for parts. Got pulled over by a cop and got sent for an inspection and the serial# on the block turned up as stolen.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

In CA, you don't have to smog '75 and older cars. That's nice so you can do anything you want to your car. I don't see why you would have to report it to the DMV.
Xtrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Lol I'm not used using lingo on this forum. But yeah, if you get pulled over, what reason would the cops have to check your engine though?

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtrosity View Post
In CA, you don't have to smog '75 and older cars. That's nice so you can do anything you want to your car. I don't see why you would have to report it to the DMV.
Yeah that's true, so you can pretty much smog up the earth with no consequences
Old 01-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

They won't check the #'s themselves , but I've seen cops send guys to inspections because they felt like it. That's where they might check serial numbers. Not worth the loss if u get caught.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs