classic mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
classic mustang

I have a 1967 mustang coupe, with a'70s model 302 2 barrel carburetor. I want to upgrade to a 4 barrel carburetor and intake. Which brand would be best? Mind you I'm on a low budget
sfowle0268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfowle0268 View Post
I have a 1967 mustang coupe, with a'70s model 302 2 barrel carburetor. I want to upgrade to a 4 barrel carburetor and intake. Which brand would be best? Mind you I'm on a low budget
Personally I like Holley carbs and Edelbrock intakes. But everyone has an opinion. Should be able to find an intake used, but be careful of used carbs, may have been re-jetted weird. Just make sure you match the style intake with the carb and cam. They all have to work together.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

Personally I like Holley carbs and Edelbrock intakes. But everyone has an opinion. Should be able to find an intake used, but be careful of used carbs, may have been re-jetted weird. Just make sure you match the style intake with the carb and cam. They all have to work together.
So get a Holley carburetor with an edelbrock intake or get everything the same? Also is there a place or website that has them cheaper than parts stores?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Deamon holleys lead desiner made deamon
Old 01-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So get a Holley carburetor with an edelbrock intake or get everything the same? Also is there a place or website that has them cheaper than parts stores?
Summit racing has decent prices and good selection. Don't go too high on cfm. 600-650 should be good. Don't get a crazy intake that's for a huge carb or blower. Match the two. Look at the rpm range for each. Some intakes and cams make power at really high rpms. You probably want and more normal power range. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Summit racing has decent prices and good selection. Don't go too high on cfm. 600-650 should be good. Don't get a crazy intake that's for a huge carb or blower. Match the two. Look at the rpm range for each. Some intakes and cams make power at really high rpms. You probably want and more normal power range. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.
Just more hp and torque. Something that preforms as bad as she sounds
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have a Holley 4 barrel 600cfm carb and an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake on my car and they work great together. Just in case you wanna go that route
MG1969Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1969Coupe View Post
I have a Holley 4 barrel 600cfm carb and an Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake on my car and they work great together. Just in case you wanna go that route
Definitely a possibility. Just have to get everything in my price range. I'm debating on selling my late model GT rims and getting black racing wheels. The money leftover will go toward the carburetor and intake
Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Definitely a possibility. Just have to get everything in my price range. I'm debating on selling my late model GT rims and getting black racing wheels. The money leftover will go toward the carburetor and intake
Do you know what cam is in it? That would be helpful for matching everything for max HP.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:54 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Do you know what cam is in it? That would be helpful for matching everything for max HP.
No, I didn't know that. I will definitely have to look into that. She's still a project car, so I've still got some restoration to do. I'll find out what Cam is in it though
Old 01-25-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Summit racing has combo packages that come with an intake and carb for relatively cheap.... Just another idea.
My68mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
if this is a stock engine, and will remain stock, then a weiand action plus intake is going to be the least expensive intake. top it with a 500cfm edelbrock carb for decent fuel economy and performance.

if you plan on upgrading the engine in the future, then go with either the edelbrock performer rpm or the weiand stealth intake and top it with a decent 600cfm carb. i like the edelbrock, but holley, demon and even summit all have good carbs in the 600 cfm range. in fact demon has two different design 600 cfm carbs, one is an upgrade holley, the other is similar in design to the edelbrock.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs