Spring compressor help? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Spring compressor help?

This is the spring compressor I have and can't seem to get it to compress the springs. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong but it looks pretty self explanatory from the shape of it. Only trouble I really had was having to assemble this inside the spring since it didn't fit as a whole through the shock tower
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3562390937.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	453.9 KB
ID:	87208  
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65 View Post
This is the spring compressor I have and can't seem to get it to compress the springs. Not sure if I'm doing it wrong but it looks pretty self explanatory from the shape of it. Only trouble I really had was having to assemble this inside the spring since it didn't fit as a whole through the shock tower
It's hard to tell for sure if that's a plate type or hooks type. Looks like plate type. In which case you remove bottom plate insert tool into spring, slide plate into spring from side and reattach nut, then tighten from top until compressed. If you are unsure, ask an auto parts store guy, those springs have a tremendous amount of energy when compressed and can cause real serious injuries if they aren't properly and safely compressed and released. Aren't there any instructions inside?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

It's hard to tell for sure if that's a plate type or hooks type. Looks like plate type. In which case you remove bottom plate insert tool into spring, slide plate into spring from side and reattach nut, then tighten from top until compressed. If you are unsure, ask an auto parts store guy, those springs have a tremendous amount of energy when compressed and can cause real serious injuries if they aren't properly and safely compressed and released. Aren't there any instructions inside?
They are the hook kind. I've attached a picture of how far I get it but if you look closely, the threaded bolt is screwed in as much as it can go. It's hitting the upper control arm now and still now compression of the hooks. Isn't it suppose to be compressing by now or is it mandatory to undo the upper control in order to take out coil spring? If so then I see that defeating the purpose of using this spring compressor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2013, 01:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry here's the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4080599140.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	87225  
Old 01-24-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65 View Post
Sorry here's the pic
Well if the spring is in the car already then I would use the car to compress it. Take the spring compressor out put a jack under the spring and jack it up use the weight of the car to compress the spring then install the spring compressor and let the jack down. This will allow the spring to come out without a problem.
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
It's been awhile, but doesn't the top hook assembly shoulder against the washers at top and the bottom hook assembly "climb" the threaded shaft? In other words, the top does not turn with the threaded shaft. If so you should be able to keep turning. But installing it with the weight on the car is a good idea.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs