my dream come true - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
my dream come true

This GT 350 had had me losing sleep... I want my baby to look as good as her... tell me, is it a bad idea to chop the top off my coupe and put a fastback top on in its place? Just an idea

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130124_001018.png
Views:	230
Size:	641.2 KB
ID:	87213
sfowle0268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I don't know if its bad.It would be, alot of precision cutting and welding to make it match.You would need it perfect,to make your roof match up with your windows.
You would also have to paint it to match.It can be done if you have $$.
sprdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave View Post
I don't know if its bad.It would be, alot of precision cutting and welding to make it match.You would need it perfect,to make your roof match up with your windows.
You would also have to paint it to match.It can be done if you have $$.
So probably not... it's just really tough to find a decent project fastback where I live.. I know they're out there but hardly on cl and I don't trust eBay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It would be a lot of work... I saw this episode of West Coast Customs where they took a Dynacorn 67 fastback shell and pretty much put that onto the bottom half of the '12 5.0 they were using... Looked sick at the end. So it was pretty much a fresh 67 with 100% groundwork (motor, suspension ect...) of a 5.0

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I am in no way endorsing this company because I have not used anything from them, but here is a link to show that someone is doing it. Do a lot of research before you bite off a project like this. Can you do the work yourself? I can't imagine what someone would charge you to do this?

http://www.championmustang.com/coupe...ts-c-2863.html
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:01 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
I am in no way endorsing this company because I have not used anything from them, but here is a link to show that someone is doing it. Do a lot of research before you bite off a project like this. Can you do the work yourself? I can't imagine what someone would charge you to do this?

Yeah I have a full size garage with just about every piece of equipment one could think of. Problem is, is just getting it done to perfection.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
I have never done this and don't know this company so this is not an endorsement, just proof that it is done. Do a lot of research and prepare to pay a lot if you can't do it yourself (meaning you are a professional)

---------- Post added at 08:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
I have never done this and don't know this company so this is not an endorsement, just proof that it is done. Do a lot of research and prepare to pay a lot if you can't do it yourself (meaning you are a professional)

Sorry my phone didn't look like first reply had gone!
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Personally for the money it's going to cost you to do this, I would think it cheaper to rent a car hauler and drive across country to find a fast back project car. I know they are rare and are expensive but they are out there.

Your talking loads of cash and a ton of work to end up with a good end result.

I don't know your skill level but it would be quite a challenge for even professionals. BUT if you have the time and money give it a shot! If I had the cash I would do it!
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulls98GT View Post
Personally for the money it's going to cost you to do this, I would think it cheaper to rent a car hauler and drive across country to find a fast back project car. I know they are rare and are expensive but they are out there.

Your talking loads of cash and a ton of work to end up with a good end result.

I don't know your skill level but it would be quite a challenge for even professionals. BUT if you have the time and money give it a shot! If I had the cash I would do it!
I'm no professional so I believe it better to just rent a car trailer and keep searching! Thanks guys yall are a big help
Old 01-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

If your looking for a fastback project you should look up steel city classics in Pittsburg. I almost had them build me a gt350 clone. I found my 67 fastback soon after, I regret not going to them to get one built. No headaches, no rust, and all is new. And they build it according to your budget. I gave them a 25k limit for a 65"A" code fastback, front disc, 5.0--350/400HP and all cloned for a gt350. Scoops and all the cosmetics.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
It might almost be cheaper to buy a new fastback frame from Ford for $15k and transfer everything from your car to the new one. The new frames are structurally better than the old ones, better steel alloy. No rust and no worries about it being wrong or crappy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yup!! I agree 1000%. All new is better and cheaper. A great foundation for whatever you want to do with the car. Track, street or road race.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I took the front end off a convertible and the rear end off a fastback, welded the two together and it worked out fine.... Just double check your measurements every where. Deffinetly not for a novice, but if you got some skills you'll be able to pull it off. It's not hard, just a lot of labour. Check out my build. It's been 2 years and I'm ready for a motor!!!! Yeeee haaawwwww!
Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs