how to remove emblems 66 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
how to remove emblems 66 mustang

Ok I look under the hood and the letters have these metal ring instead of screws, so how do I remove the letters but most importantly, how do I remove the rest of the emblems? do I just pull hard on these things? I'm getting ready to paint the car and I need to take everything off.
thank you
leftoverbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Heat gun! You can spend more time and use a hair dryer. I accidentally removed an emblem off my car with easy off oven cleaner when I was removing one shot pin striping off my car. The easy off is safe on my paint, I'm not sure on a ~50 yr old paint job but if your going to repaint I don't see any reason to worry. Let the easy off sit on it for about 5 minute intervals and pry up gently, then wash off with water and reapply. The water is just to neutralize so it doesn't constantly work but you very well don't need to wash it off.
1998 Bright Atlantic Cobra - 3:73's, BBK ls, Pro 5.0, 96 Cobra STB, Borla XR-1 Catback, Custom Catch Can, Spec clutch, MM Firewall adj, FRPP wires, RSD, Spoiler delete, 245/275 BF Goodrich g sports on chrome 95 cobra r's
1998 V6 Mustang : SOLD!
Rosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverbolts View Post
Ok I look under the hood and the letters have these metal ring instead of screws, so how do I remove the letters but most importantly, how do I remove the rest of the emblems? do I just pull hard on these things? I'm getting ready to paint the car and I need to take everything off.
thank you
If the side emblems are original pin style, they should just pull off the fenders and you'll need new plastic anchors to re-install.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
I've always used a heat gun while de-badging a vehicle. You can also use fishing string, usually it'll cut through the tape used on the backside.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Dakota
I used a flathead screwdriver and a rag underneath to remove mine, just kept working them slowly. After the car is painted, I would go with the Scott Drake adhesive backed emblems to replace them, they worked better for me than the original style. Good luck!
6t7mstg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
He's working on a 1966 I think. The clips are called barrel clips. The emblems do pry off just be careful not to gouge the metal. Don't worry about the paint since you are repainting. You can get new clips from NPD or CJ Pony Parts (among a hundred other online parts places). Yours will probably be rusted and useless.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justasix98 View Post
I've always used a heat gun while de-badging a vehicle. You can also use fishing string, usually it'll cut through the tape used on the backside.
This is a 66 they did not use tape then they had real emblems.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #8

Region: Hawaii
When you rebadge it Scott drake has some that have both adhesive and the pins use those to secure it to the body without having to worry about alignment there really simple to put on though taking them off will require a heat fun AND a screw driver lol
67Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you replace with new, get the pins again, they line up as original and the clips are like 0.15 or 0.25 cents each.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs