Oil pan replacement - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #1

Region: Hawaii
Oil pan replacement

So a bolt went through my oil pan on my 67 hardtop and I got to replace it my issue is that almost everywhere I've look says you need to remove the idler arm mounting bracket off the passenger side frame rail and the crossmember but according to the chilton manual it's says I just need to remove the sway bar to get the oil pan off which is it? I'm hoping chilton is right if not ill post pictures as to why the bracket is such a pita
67Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Stangman View Post
So a bolt went through my oil pan on my 67 hardtop and I got to replace it my issue is that almost everywhere I've look says you need to remove the idler arm mounting bracket off the passenger side frame rail and the crossmember but according to the chilton manual it's says I just need to remove the sway bar to get the oil pan off which is it? I'm hoping chilton is right if not ill post pictures as to why the bracket is such a pita
Idler arm bracket doesn't sound right. I would think either the crossmember or the sway bar would leave enough room to get the pan out. I'll check my son's 67 tonight. Is it an I6 or a V8 (which one)?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #3

Region: Hawaii
V8

---------- Post added at 06:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 AM ----------

http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/31...ng_linkage.jpg

That's a link to the part I'm often seeing is removed so I misspoke its not the idler arm but the steering linkage however the castle it on the steering linkage that's connecting it to that bracket is what's giving me all the trouble it's right up against the lower mounting bolt and I can't get either to move

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

Ill post a picture of my actual setup in a little while to give you guys a visual of my current biggest problem
67Stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Probably need an impact wrench after soaking with penetrating oil. Or a pretty good cheater bar. Also a picle fork to separate after getting the nut off.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
On my 68 289 you only have to take off the cross member and you have plenty of room to do what ya gotta do
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs