Next project (man. Trans) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Next project (man. Trans)

So the next project I would like to take on is converting the auto pony to standard. What kind of trouble am I looking at getting into? I'm hoping it will be a fun "little" project. Thanks in advance for everyone's help
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
depending on what engine you have, the job can be like falling off a log to and bit of a hassle. it also depends on your skills as a mechanic. have you swapped a transmission before? if yes then the job is easier.

it also depends on what transmission you are going to swap in. a 5 speed is a bit harder to swap than a four speed, but still doable. let me know what engine you have and what trans you want, and i will lay out a plan of attack for you.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
depending on what engine you have, the job can be like falling off a log to and bit of a hassle. it also depends on your skills as a mechanic. have you swapped a transmission before? if yes then the job is easier.

it also depends on what transmission you are going to swap in. a 5 speed is a bit harder to swap than a four speed, but still doable. let me know what engine you have and what trans you want, and i will lay out a plan of attack for you.
Current skills=beginner
I currently have a 302 in the car and I'm not too familiar with the different transmissions quite yet but I would like a 4 speed in this car.

What kind of options are transmissions are there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65 View Post
Current skills=beginner
I currently have a 302 in the car and I'm not too familiar with the different transmissions quite yet but I would like a 4 speed in this car.

What kind of options are transmissions are there?
for a four speed your best bet is a top loader. there are two types, one is a fake top loader that has an over drive built in, you dont want that one as the drop in ratios between gears makes the grand canyon seem shallow. you want the earlier style top loader that came in mustangs from 1966 to about 1973. these will have the shifter in the right place. after that you need a bell housing plus all the attendant linkage, and other bits and pieces. understand though that finding a four speed is going to be somewhat difficult these days, and when you do find one you are likely going to pay dearly for it.

a better choice would be a T5 from a fox body mustang, say between 1988 to 1993. take the bell housing as well as the transmission. you can convert to a more reliable and efficient hydraulic clutch, and you get the overdrive as well. the swap is fairly simple overall, you also need a modified crossmember. they are available ready to bolt in from a number of mustang suppliers. a top loader swap with cost you about $1000-1500 easy, where as a T5 swap will cost about half that.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

for a four speed your best bet is a top loader. there are two types, one is a fake top loader that has an over drive built in, you dont want that one as the drop in ratios between gears makes the grand canyon seem shallow. you want the earlier style top loader that came in mustangs from 1966 to about 1973. these will have the shifter in the right place. after that you need a bell housing plus all the attendant linkage, and other bits and pieces. understand though that finding a four speed is going to be somewhat difficult these days, and when you do find one you are likely going to pay dearly for it.

a better choice would be a T5 from a fox body mustang, say between 1988 to 1993. take the bell housing as well as the transmission. you can convert to a more reliable and efficient hydraulic clutch, and you get the overdrive as well. the swap is fairly simple overall, you also need a modified crossmember. they are available ready to bolt in from a number of mustang suppliers. a top loader swap with cost you about $1000-1500 easy, where as a T5 swap will cost about half that.
Sounds like the T5 is a better conversion with a better price. Ill have to look into that one then since you say 4 speed is hard to find. I just want to be able to convert the car to stand. So the amount of speeds isn't a big deal for me

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs