Next project (man. Trans) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
iStang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 230
Next project (man. Trans)

So the next project I would like to take on is converting the auto pony to standard. What kind of trouble am I looking at getting into? I'm hoping it will be a fun "little" project. Thanks in advance for everyone's help
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
rbohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tucson
Region: Arizona
Posts: 161
depending on what engine you have, the job can be like falling off a log to and bit of a hassle. it also depends on your skills as a mechanic. have you swapped a transmission before? if yes then the job is easier.

it also depends on what transmission you are going to swap in. a 5 speed is a bit harder to swap than a four speed, but still doable. let me know what engine you have and what trans you want, and i will lay out a plan of attack for you.
__________________
my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
iStang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
depending on what engine you have, the job can be like falling off a log to and bit of a hassle. it also depends on your skills as a mechanic. have you swapped a transmission before? if yes then the job is easier.

it also depends on what transmission you are going to swap in. a 5 speed is a bit harder to swap than a four speed, but still doable. let me know what engine you have and what trans you want, and i will lay out a plan of attack for you.
Current skills=beginner
I currently have a 302 in the car and I'm not too familiar with the different transmissions quite yet but I would like a 4 speed in this car.

What kind of options are transmissions are there?
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-04-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
rbohm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: tucson
Region: Arizona
Posts: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65 View Post
Current skills=beginner
I currently have a 302 in the car and I'm not too familiar with the different transmissions quite yet but I would like a 4 speed in this car.

What kind of options are transmissions are there?
for a four speed your best bet is a top loader. there are two types, one is a fake top loader that has an over drive built in, you dont want that one as the drop in ratios between gears makes the grand canyon seem shallow. you want the earlier style top loader that came in mustangs from 1966 to about 1973. these will have the shifter in the right place. after that you need a bell housing plus all the attendant linkage, and other bits and pieces. understand though that finding a four speed is going to be somewhat difficult these days, and when you do find one you are likely going to pay dearly for it.

a better choice would be a T5 from a fox body mustang, say between 1988 to 1993. take the bell housing as well as the transmission. you can convert to a more reliable and efficient hydraulic clutch, and you get the overdrive as well. the swap is fairly simple overall, you also need a modified crossmember. they are available ready to bolt in from a number of mustang suppliers. a top loader swap with cost you about $1000-1500 easy, where as a T5 swap will cost about half that.
__________________
my mind is aglow with whirling transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
iStang65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Anchorage
Region: Alaska
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

for a four speed your best bet is a top loader. there are two types, one is a fake top loader that has an over drive built in, you dont want that one as the drop in ratios between gears makes the grand canyon seem shallow. you want the earlier style top loader that came in mustangs from 1966 to about 1973. these will have the shifter in the right place. after that you need a bell housing plus all the attendant linkage, and other bits and pieces. understand though that finding a four speed is going to be somewhat difficult these days, and when you do find one you are likely going to pay dearly for it.

a better choice would be a T5 from a fox body mustang, say between 1988 to 1993. take the bell housing as well as the transmission. you can convert to a more reliable and efficient hydraulic clutch, and you get the overdrive as well. the swap is fairly simple overall, you also need a modified crossmember. they are available ready to bolt in from a number of mustang suppliers. a top loader swap with cost you about $1000-1500 easy, where as a T5 swap will cost about half that.
Sounds like the T5 is a better conversion with a better price. Ill have to look into that one then since you say 4 speed is hard to find. I just want to be able to convert the car to stand. So the amount of speeds isn't a big deal for me
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



09:22 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.