Restomod - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Restomod

Hey guys I was just wondering what some good restrooms ideas were for my 67 mustang coupe. Thanks in advance
sixty7stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well u can buy a wrecked 99-04 cobra and use the engine tranny and IRS but u have to cut ur strut towers
Old 02-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Performance restomods or appearance?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Mainly appearance restomods. But suggestions for both performance and appearance would be nice haha

---------- Post added at 09:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Just realized autocorrect changed "restomod" to "restrooms" in my original post haha
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well u can get some exotic wheels and big brakes
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Well u can get some exotic wheels and big brakes

Well I really like the rims I have now (Torq Thrust) but I do need some disc brakes. I've still got drum all around. Thanks
Old 02-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Try this website. You can get some ideas.

http://www.therestomodshop.com/why/index.html

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
start by picking a direction for the car. what look do you want? my 66 coupe, when i get the money to restomod it, will head in the direction of a trans am type look. front and rear spoilers, wheels no larger than 17" diameter, big brakes, under 5 liter engine, etc. i will use an AOD though instead of a manual trans(i am getting old and dont want to shift gears anymore).

but a restomod can be anything really, drag car, trans am look, pro street, rat rod, etc.

one thing though, pick a direction and be consistent. it looks like crap if you decided to build a trans am looking car, and then put on all the badges and bright work the factory installed.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Restomod

Good comments. No matter which direction you take, it comes down to time and money. Over the years I spent a lot of time researching how to do things before doing them. Labor will cost a lot of $. For instance, my floor pans were in need of repair so eventually i learned to weld. It may not have turned out as well as paying a professional to (quickly) do it but I have nice new pans, a welding machine and a few extra $'s for other parts. If I had MONEY I would just go to an auction and buy a completed car, but $$$$'s don't come easy. I must have put the pans in and out 20 times each for measuring and cutting to get a good fit. Then a thousand spot welds to keep the pans from warping. SO, put a game plan together. There are a lot of ME members here to help. Many will spend time to help with issues along the way but probably none will send money. Good luck
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyO View Post
Good comments. No matter which direction you take, it comes down to time and money. Over the years I spent a lot of time researching how to do things before doing them. Labor will cost a lot of $. For instance, my floor pans were in need of repair so eventually i learned to weld. It may not have turned out as well as paying a professional to (quickly) do it but I have nice new pans, a welding machine and a few extra $'s for other parts. If I had MONEY I would just go to an auction and buy a completed car, but $$$$'s don't come easy. I must have put the pans in and out 20 times each for measuring and cutting to get a good fit. Then a thousand spot welds to keep the pans from warping. SO, put a game plan together. There are a lot of ME members here to help. Many will spend time to help with issues along the way but probably none will send money. Good luck
i bolded the most important parts. the key to a good restoration is taking your time to do the job right. taking the floor pans in and out 20 times is about average for most pros who do top restorations. same with fitting new quarter panels, fenders, etc. if you have more time than money, take the time to fit everything, until you are completely satisfied, then move on to the next job.

as the character major winchester said in the tv show M*A*S*H said once;

i do one thing at a time, i do it very well, and then i move on.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Can't stress fitment enough. I was kind of green when I started my 66 project.
I learned :
1. Gonna fit, trim, fit, trim, fit, trim at least 50 times before its perfect.
2. Tack welding sheetmetal sucks. It doesn't go nearly as fast as you see on tv. Took me 10 hours to tack my rear quarter on including fitting and trimming.
3. Grinding welds sucks much worse than the prep work.
4. It is well worth the end result if you work hard at it.
5. Prep means everything to the finished product.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Couldn't tell you how much time I have in my car but have owned it a year and a half.
Replaced
1. Both floor pans
2. Fire wall
3. Trunk floors
4. Passenger quarter panel
5. 4 patch panels in driver quarter
6. Rear trunk brace
7. Tail light panel
8. Rear bumper mounts
9. Roof skin
10. Installed rear seat to trunk divider
11. Repaired rear deck where nimrod cut out large holes for bigger speakers

I only have a few hours over the weekend to work on the car, I am happy where I'm at now though. Just can't wait to get it all together and drive the thing.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs