Carb issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Carb issue

So my 66 I6 suddenly took a dump the other day. (not DD, just sits in my garage and I turn it on every once in a while) I'm pretty sure it's a fuel issue. Car has gas, I know the carb has a leak. And one of the hoses got punctured (taped it up) I removed my carb and what I think is the fuel filter. I want to rebuild the carb myself so where could I get a decent rebuild kit for this carb. I'm not very familiar with carbs. And also, would autozone carry a fuel filter for the 66? I took off mostly everything that has to do with the fuel from the engine bay.
sam62893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You should be able to get a rebuild kit from autozone, may need to be ordered or get one from Summit. You'll need the brand and the exact model number. Autozone should have a fuel filter, but it might be a good idea to bring the old one with you. It may not be a stock one.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

How can I tell what kind if carb I have? It has a Fomoco stamp on it and a 6 on one side. Is it safe to say its that its the stock one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Sound like it, you should be able to look in a shop manual and get the specs for the carb. Or just bring it into autozone and they should be able to identify it and order the rebuild kit. Ford used a couple of different brands of carbs for their cars in the sixites.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! So I took the half dismantled carb to autozone and surprisingly they had the exact one I needed. So I'm almost halfway done rebuilding. Got a new fuel filter and some hoses to replace the old fuel lines. I'll see if that fixes my issues
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I think I'm going to need a new carb. So I rebuilt it. "Rebuilt" I guess not good enough because its still leaking and the car still won't turn on. I replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel hoses in the engine bay. The only thing I haven't done is checked the fuel pump. But it looks newish. Suggestions?
Old 02-14-2013, 12:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam62893 View Post
Well I think I'm going to need a new carb. So I rebuilt it. "Rebuilt" I guess not good enough because its still leaking and the car still won't turn on. I replaced the fuel filter, replaced the fuel hoses in the engine bay. The only thing I haven't done is checked the fuel pump. But it looks newish. Suggestions?
If its leaking, it's getting fuel. Dies it turn over and try to start or start and die? Where is it leaking from?

Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Easy way to check fuel pump use a clean liter jug take house off of carb and place in jug crank engine for a second if it gets about half full in a few cranks the pump is good if if it does not then the pump is bad. Easy enough. Now as someone else stated where is it leaking from? This will help us guide you.
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Forgot to mention that when I was cranking it I checks the fuel lines after the pump and they were still dry as a bone. So I poured some gas in before the fuel filter to get to the carb. Started cranking it and the seals were leaking when I started cranking it. Maybe I didn't rebuild it too well because all the visible seals were wet and it was actually leaking in one of the sides I don't know what it's called but I'll try to get a picture
Old 02-14-2013, 10:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Forgot to mention that when I was cranking it I checks the fuel lines after the pump and they were still dry as a bone. So I poured some gas in before the fuel filter to get to the carb. Started cranking it and the seals were leaking when I started cranking it. Maybe I didn't rebuild it too well because all the visible seals were wet and it was actually leaking in one of the sides I don't know what it's called but I'll try to get a picture
You've got to fix each problem as it reveals itself so that you can figure what is really wrong. If the carb is not getting fuel, then fix the fuel delivery issue (probably the fuel pump), then with that problem sovled and gas flowing to the carb, you can determine what is wrong with the carb. You can't figure it out when there are multiple issues.
What kind of rebuild kit was it? Just new jets and diaphrams. You should have torn it completely down cleaned all the varnish and replaced all gaskets and seals with new ones. It should not be leaking. Take your time and double check everything carbs can be really finicky things.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:52 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

It was an autozone kit. I'll have to check the brand when I get home. I took it completely apart and sprayed everything with carb cleaner. I took a toothbrush and brushed everything with the carb cleaner. Then I put it all together and tightened it. Maybe I put too much fuel in there. I'll test my fuel pump when I get home, if it took a dump on me I'll replace it and see what happens
Old 02-17-2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Another update. So far I've rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the fuel filter, replaced ALL the rubber hoses leading from the fuel tank to the carburetor itself. I sprayed the carburetor with cleaner and it fires up for a second or two. All the fuel lines in the engine bay are bone dry when I try cranking in. No gas comes out anywhere in any hoses before or after the fuel pump in the engine bay. I even replaced the line that goes from the fuel sending unit to the metal hose that goes directly to the fuel pump. When I replaced that hose fuel came out from both sides so does this mean my fuel sending unit is okay? My guess is that my metal fuel line is blocked somewhere in the middle. Is there a way I can check if its blocked? The only things I haven't replaced are; fuel pump and fuel sending unit. Any help appreciated thank you
Old 02-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Try unhooking the hose going into the carb, let it pump into a can or jug or something. Are the floats stuck in your carb? If its getting gas to the carb and its making fire, your getting close to the problem.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

It only fires when I spray the carburetor with the carb cleaner but it doesn't stay on because its not getting fuel. The floater isn't stuck because I took the carburetor completely apart cleaned it all and put new gaskets and the floater moved fine. I'm pretty sure the pump, filter, and carb are fine. Like I said, I unhooked the small rubber line that goes from the tank to the metal hose that goes straight to the pump and it had gas in it, but it didn't have gas on the other side so I came to the conclusion that the metal line is blocked or maybe bent somewhere, but it can't be bent, the car hasn't been on the road for a while. Drove it up and down my driveway and towed it to the mechanics while it was running, but now it's been sitting in my garage for a while.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Unhook those lines in different places and crank it. If your not gettin gas, problem solved. Just because it has a little gas in it, doesn't mean it's pumpin enough. I'd pull the one goin in the carb and stick it down in an empty water bottle or somethin. Then crank it. At least that way you know for sure.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I'll try it again. I had my dad help me holding a cup while I tried cranking it but he said nothing came out. I'm gonna tape a water bottle and try it on every hose to see what happens. So if no gas comes out at all could it be that my fuel line is clogged?
Old 02-17-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

If you do that at the carb and nothing comes out, try moving to the filter that way you will know. If you move back to the filter and something comes out, you will know something is clogged. If not, you will know its time for a pump. You already replaced the filter right?

---------- Post added at 06:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 PM ----------

That 66, it a 6 cylinder car? It looks great too.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

On the 2nd try, tape your bottle behind te filter where the fuel line runs in. If it pumps fuel, you will be closer to the problem.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I put a fuel filter before the pump too Just an inline one and sounds like your carb hasnt filled up with gas yet you just need to keep cranking it till it fills

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

And keep pumping the pedal
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #19
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
I put a fuel filter before the pump too Just an inline one and sounds like your carb hasnt filled up with gas yet you just need to keep cranking it till it fills

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

And keep pumping the pedal
+1. Very possible.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:26 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Filter replaced, and carburetor rebuilt. Next step is to replace the fuel pump if its not working. Then the last step is the fuel sending unit. If all fails, then I'll suck it up and replace the carburetor. Thanks, its 66 straight 6 motor. Shame it's just been sitting in my garage. Everyone loves it lol
Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I have 68 l6 too i had the same problem just keep cranking it
Old 02-17-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Registered Member

Regular

It's beautiful man. You should drive it.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:42 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks, I'll try all that. The filter before the pump? Sounds like the pump would work harder since it would have to pump through the filter? I have tried to pump the pedal and tried turning on the engine but no dice. Sprayed carb cleaner in the carb and it fires up for like a second but dies. It needs a lot of work before I can drive it. Power steering is leaking, gas tank has some leakage too I think, need new tires and brakes and a $700 backfire from the DMV of which I have only payed $500
Old 02-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #24
Registered Member

Regular

Have u cleaned out that tank? I'd do the test before the filter. Where the line runs into the filter, that's where I would check it. Before it goes in the filter.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Have u cleaned out that tank? I'd do the test before the filter. Where the line runs into the filter, that's where I would check it. Before it goes in the filter.
No, I haven't actually. How do I clean out the tank? I'll try it from every end of the hoses in the engine bay. If that fails I'll buy a new pump and go from there
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

The filter is better because the pump doest have to pump a but of crap through it and try spraying more in or you can pump the accelerator pump and see if gas pumps in other than that just keep turning it over
Old 02-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #27
Registered Member

Regular

It'll unbolt straight from the trunk. I'd go ahead and take the screws out and take the line loose. You can buy stuff to clean them but its hard to beat a water hose. After you clean it out good, they do sell a sealant. If your like me, once you get it clean, that'll be good for now lol. Just use some old gas and make sure you get all of the water out of it. Then put it back in. Depending in how long it sit, if the tank had old gas in it, that could be a part of it. I'm sure it needs cleaned. From there you will know more. My brother has a 66 with a 289 hypo lol. Been down this same road with his. It runs like a scalded dog now.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:01 PM ----------

Quote:

No, I haven't actually. How do I clean out the tank? I'll try it from every end of the hoses in the engine bay. If that fails I'll buy a new pump and go from there
This sounds like the plan as long as you know you have pumped it enough and know it should be to the carb by now.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
The filter is better because the pump doest have to pump a but of crap through it and try spraying more in or you can pump the accelerator pump and see if gas pumps in other than that just keep turning it over
Alright, I guess I'll do that, then I'll just put in the filter before the pump and then run the line after the pump directly to the carb.

I guess I got a new project tomorrow after work are those gas tanks heavy? I'll just drain the gas I have, unbolt the tank, and jack up the tank a bit to lift it up.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

They r not heavy empty. Just bulky. You will be able to tell a lot about it from what you drain out of the tank.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Well when I took off the hose from the sending unit after the tank I let it drain a bit and I noticed some black debris where I drained it out. I'm thinking that the line got clogged. I'll inspect it some more, take out the tank and take lots and lots I pictures
Old 02-17-2013, 07:27 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

If you have a air compressor the hook up it to one end and blow out the stuff
Old 02-17-2013, 07:45 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I have a small compressor, maybe good enough for about 2 or 3 good bursts of air to blow out to the other end
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah try that and also i dont know if i read it right but leave the filter at the carb too
Old 02-17-2013, 08:41 PM   #34
Registered Member

Regular

Now you are on the right track brother. Did you say you just put a new filter on? That's probably not in good shape anymore. I'd plan on puttin a new one back on regardless. Might wanna look in your carb to see if anything made it up to it. Don't want that in your engine. Sounds like you are about to find the real problem now.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 PM ----------

That in line filter will be a backup. If you can see in it, that only means you know what is goin in the carb.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

So you have one before the fuel pump and before the carb? Here's the kind I have in mine
I have it before the carb. That's the old one, but I put the new one in the same place. That's the old one though I didn't take pictures of the new one.

Well like I said I don't think any of the fuel got into the engine bay anyways. I checked the hoses and they were dry as a bone I didn't smell any fuel on them after I was cranking it. But they're relatively inexpensive so I'll replace it either way just in case. Will I have to use the same kind? Or can I use any plain filter because I saw this clear plastic one so you could basically see the fuel when it passes through. You guys have been a real help, I was about to give up but now I'm closer to finding the problem. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-990648616.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	91529   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-38031690.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	491.2 KB
ID:	91530  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-620182216.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	513.8 KB
ID:	91531  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs