Incorrect Dyno? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Incorrect Dyno?

I just got back from getting the Mustang dyno'd and I'm not sure it was accurate. I knew the numbers would be a bit lower than expected, but not by too much. It dyno'd at 194hp. Much less than I expected. I thought stock 302's got around 225 hp stock.

It's a '66 GT coupe. The engine is a naturally aspirated rebuilt 302 from a '68 Galaxy 500. The engine has been ported, has headers, roller rockers, roller cam, 4 barrel 650 holly carb, K&N filters all around, msd ignition, and 3" flowmaster straight pipes all the way back. I thought the hp would be closer to 300.

The guy running the Dyno didn't seem to know what he was doing very well. He ran the Dyno when the car was in third gear, it registered 194hp and 245 ft/lbs of torque. Thoughts?
Chaunceton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaunceton View Post
I just got back from getting the Mustang dyno'd and I'm not sure it was accurate. I knew the numbers would be a bit lower than expected, but not by too much. It dyno'd at 194hp. Much less than I expected. I thought stock 302's got around 225 hp stock.

It's a '66 GT coupe. The engine is a naturally aspirated rebuilt 302 from a '68 Galaxy 500. The engine has been ported, has headers, roller rockers, roller cam, 4 barrel 650 holly carb, K&N filters all around, msd ignition, and 3" flowmaster straight pipes all the way back. I thought the hp would be closer to 300.

The guy running the Dyno didn't seem to know what he was doing very well. He ran the Dyno when the car was in third gear, it registered 194hp and 245 ft/lbs of torque. Thoughts?
That sounds way off. With all that engine work, I would have guessed closer to 300 as well. Take it back have someone else do it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

That sounds way off. With all that engine work, I would have guessed closer to 300 as well. Take it back have someone else do it.
Ok great. For a second I thought maybe I was going crazy. I wish I could go get it dyno'd somewhere else, but I live in a city in Utah where there aren't many dyno shops near. I think for now I'll need to be content with estimations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok great. For a second I thought maybe I was going crazy. I wish I could go get it dyno'd somewhere else, but I live in a city in Utah where there aren't many dyno shops near. I think for now I'll need to be content with estimations.
I did a little research and i've seen several 289/302 in a fairly stock setup do 170-180 rwhp. But with your setup, heads, exhaust, cams, etc. I would expect closer to 250 or so. Did he adjust the timing or try to get any more out of it? Or just ran it and gave the ticket?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I did a little research and i've seen several 289/302 in a fairly stock setup do 170-180 rwhp. But with your setup, heads, exhaust, cams, etc. I would expect closer to 250 or so. Did he adjust the timing or try to get any more out of it? Or just ran it and gave the ticket?
No adjustments at all, and the tach on the computer was registering slightly different than the tach on the mustang.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No adjustments at all, and the tach on the computer was registering slightly different than the tach on the mustang.
He didn't tune it, just dyno. Did you pay for a dyno tune or just to get the current number?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He didn't tune it, just dyno. Did you pay for a dyno tune or just to get the current number?
Just to get the current number. I think I've got the carb all dialed in. I was just curious as to what a dyno would tell me.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
dyno calibrations differ drastically from one to the next or one brand to another, no set way to get 100% accurate results, they are more for getting everything fine tuned than figuring out exact hp/tq
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs