Really loving my 1966 baby - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Really loving my 1966 baby

I love my car! One year together and it has been awesome. I can't believe it drives so great and feels so reliable. I just got the front end replaced and it makes a big difference.
Now, I am a girl, so don't judge! But how often do I need to put water in it?
I have been taking it to the oil change and all that but was wondering if there is something beside that I need to be doing for it to keep working the way it does.

I uploaded more pics!!

Mustana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
1 year today with my car as well!!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustana View Post
I love my car! One year together and it has been awesome. I can't believe it drives so great and feels so reliable. I just got the front end replaced and it makes a big difference.
Now, I am a girl, so don't judge! But how often do I need to put water in it?
I have been taking it to the oil change and all that but was wondering if there is something beside that I need to be doing for it to keep working the way it does.

I uploaded more pics!!

You shouldn't need to add coolant very often. If it seems to run a little warmer than usual, you could check it. You would open the radiator cap WITH THE ENGINE COLD AND ONLY WHEN COLD before starting. IF the level is not right near the top, you could add some. But don't add water, you add 50% distilled water and 50% anti-freeze such as Prestone. Unless you live in North Dakota, 50/50 mix is good.
Car looks great, glad you're enjoying it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
good to hear you like your stang. as for how often you need to put water in the car, how often are you putting water in the car? are you filling the radiator to the top each time? if so then STOP. the cooling system will find its own proper level after the engine has warmed up, and it will blow the excess coolant out. what you want to do if fill the radiator once, then drive it around until the engine is good and warm. park the car and let it cool off, then check the level. do not refill the radiator if you see coolant when you remove the cap. check the level each day when the engine is cool to determine where the cooling system wants the level to be, or to determine if you are losing coolant. hint, if you fill the rad, then drive it, and then let it cool, and recheck and you see no coolant in the system, chances are good that you have either a leak or an air bubble that needs to work itself out. if you are constantly adding water, then you likely have a leak.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I actually have not put any water in it. I was just curious. A year ago I put water and coolant, but after that I guess the people that did the oil change probably checked that. It is not over warming or anything. thanks for your replies.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Nice car. If its not leaking or running hot its probably fine. Looks like the color is Emberglow. My 66 is the same color. Good to hear from another classic mustang owner who enjoys driving a classic. Enjoy
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyO View Post
Nice car. If its not leaking or running hot its probably fine. Looks like the color is Emberglow. My 66 is the same color. Good to hear from another classic mustang owner who enjoys driving a classic. Enjoy
Yes! Emberglow.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

« 64 | Air Intakes »