390 engine casting number - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #1

Region: California
390 engine casting number

Hi there,
I have a 67 mustang fastback S code and I'm looking for an engine that has the correct casting number. My mustang was build on November 5th, 1966. Can anyone tell me the right casting numbers i should be looking for? or if anyone has the right engine for sale?
Thank you,
GarenS390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Hey! Welcome to ME. I am not sure but someone here will help you, is it a project car?
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #3

Yes it is, it needs a little bit of rust repair, paint and engine. other than that its in good condition. its 95% rust free. im planning on restoring it as soon as i sell my 66 coupe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 12:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarenS390 View Post
Yes it is, it needs a little bit of rust repair, paint and engine. other than that its in good condition. its 95% rust free. im planning on restoring it as soon as i sell my 66 coupe.
Nice! I have a 69 Mach 1 and it's née than half rust lol yours have an engine in it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2886163842.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	101071  
Old 04-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #5

yes, i have 2 engines. one of them is a 390 (disassembled) and the other one is complete but I'm not sure what kind it is. as soon as i find the right engine for mine, i'll sell them both. meanwhile, i'll hold on to both of them just in case i cant find the correct engine for mine.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Hi there,
I have a 67 mustang fastback S code and I'm looking for an engine that has the correct casting number. My mustang was build on November 5th, 1966. Can anyone tell me the right casting numbers i should be looking for? or if anyone has the right engine for sale?
Thank you,
Hi and welcome! I reallly like the stang! Ive got a couple 390's one of them i just built, but these are out of trucks.
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It sucks that it doesn't have it in it. Mine had it but than again the same owner owned it since 75' hah do you know the full history of your c car?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Hi there,
Thank you,
It should start with a C7, 67 was the first year for the 390. Are you building a concours car? If not then it's not a big deal if its from a 67 or 68, etc.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 AM   #9

No, I'm not building a Concourse car but i'd like to have it all matching. wouldn't a wrong year engine lower the value of the car?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No, I'm not building a Concourse car but i'd like to have it all matching. wouldn't a wrong year engine lower the value of the car?
It depends on buyers if my 69 Mach had a wrong 428 engine in it instead of the 351 it has now it would bring more money. I do t think year really makes a big price impact but do what you feel like because that small detail might bug you the rest of the time driving the car ;o
Old 04-07-2013, 01:58 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
It depends on buyers if my 69 Mach had a wrong 428 engine in it instead of the 351 it has now it would bring more money. I do t think year really makes a big price impact but do what you feel like because that small detail might bug you the rest of the time driving the car ;o
thats true, it will bug me.
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

thats true, it will bug me.
Lol good luck with finding one. How did you run across your car, just being nosy
Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post

Lol good luck with finding one. How did you run across your car, just being nosy
Los Angeles Craigslist. Sometimes good things come up on it.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #14
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
This site will help you decode the casting date of the block. I don't know for sure, but blocks were "seasoned" for as much as a couple of months after casting before being machined, so the casting date could be as much as a few months before the build date of the car. Of course, it has to be before the car was built. Out of curiosity, if you get a block with a suitable casting date, and someone asks if it is original, what will you answer? I assume you'll tell the truth, so the date may not be terribly important.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

How 'bout the link? (And less preaching?)

http://mustangtek.com/FordDateDecoding.html
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You already have an S code which I believe is the important part. So a 390 block that's not a 67 is not going to matter that much.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
This site will help you decode the casting date of the block. I don't know for sure, but blocks were "seasoned" for as much as a couple of months after casting before being machined, so the casting date could be as much as a few months before the build date of the car. Of course, it has to be before the car was built. Out of curiosity, if you get a block with a suitable casting date, and someone asks if it is original, what will you answer? I assume you'll tell the truth, so the date may not be terribly important.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 AM ----------

How 'bout the link? (And less preaching?)

http://mustangtek.com/FordDateDecoding.html
Of course, I'll tell the truth. If I don't have the correct engine, it will always bug me. I like my cars as original as I can get them to be. And trust me, this car will never be for sale. I'm planing on driving it daily.
Thank you
Old 04-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Did the info in the link help?
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Of course, I'll tell the truth. If I don't have the correct engine, it will always bug me. I like my cars as original as I can get them to be. And trust me, this car will never be for sale. I'm planing on driving it daily.
Thank you
In my opinion, as my 66 build is going and also not gonna ever sell it, whatever you want for a daily driver is what you should go for, you got the car you want, make it what you desire. You can throw in whatever you'd like but do it where it looks like a factory clean install. Number matching is not my ultimate goal, just a clean bada$$ looking car with engine that runs, looks great and an overall car that handles as well as I want it to considering my driving habits.
Make it yours, make it with what you want, make it with what would make you happy.
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
Did the info in the link help?
yes, it did.
thank you

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs