If a car has 2 vins which one is it legally classified as? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
If a car has 2 vins which one is it legally classified as?

I bought a 70' Mach 1 boss project and when I say this I mean the body's vin is h code Mach and window is g code boss. Which one is legally the right vin? The exterior and interior is all Mach but only boss thing is the window vin.
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #2

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortyBrandon View Post
I bought a 70' Mach 1 boss project and when I say this I mean the body's vin is h code Mach and window is g code boss. Which one is legally the right vin? The exterior and interior is all Mach but only boss thing is the window vin.
What does your ownership papers reflect. Legally that would be the one that has to match.
Port139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
The vin in the window is on the dash? I'd assume that at one point a previous owner swapped the dashboard but didn't bother to change the vin? I'd go by the body vin.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
The vin in the window is on the dash? I'd assume that at one point a previous owner swapped the dashboard but didn't bother to change the vin? I'd go by the body vin.
Agreed.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Papers never lie bro, the more documentation the better
99mustang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99mustang99 View Post
Papers never lie bro, the more documentation the better
Yes the guy said when he bought it he got a wrong title for it. The only boss thing is the dash vin. I'm pretty sure its all mach 1 but who knows? What if it came like that from factory? I don't see why some one would waste all the time replacing a dash vin to one of the 3xxx boss g codes mustang for a car without the rear end, trans or engine in it? Lol he said it came with a 427 in it. Were they trying to make some boss, mach 1 super cobra jet mustang with pces and parts?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:51 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes the guy said when he bought it he got a wrong title for it. The only boss thing is the dash vin. I'm pretty sure its all mach 1 but who knows? What if it came like that from factory? I don't see why some one would waste all the time replacing a dash vin to one of the 3xxx boss g codes mustang for a car without the rear end, trans or engine in it? Lol he said it came with a 427 in it. Were they trying to make some boss, mach 1 super cobra jet mustang with pces and parts?
There is 428 mach 1 cobra jets, but no combos of mach1/cobra/boss i believe, i think the dash code would be the most reliable? Cause the doors and panels can be off a mach 1 possible to replace the panel from a earlier resto on it

Btw if your can get the title, if the dash code is the same as on the title then its a legit Boss 302, but if it dont match the dash vin and it matches body vin then its a mach 1.. Which mean someone was restoring it to look as if it was boss 302 probably
Old 04-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There is 428 mach 1 cobra jets, but no combos of mach1/cobra/boss i believe, i think the dash code would be the most reliable? Cause the doors and panels can be off a mach 1 possible to replace the panel from a earlier resto on it

Btw if your can get the title, if the dash code is the same as on the title then its a legit Boss 302, but if it dont match the dash vin and it matches body vin then its a mach 1.. Which mean someone was restoring it to look as if it was boss 302 probably
He lost the title to the car he said he said I can take as long as I want to buy the car. Its pretty much a mach 1 I believe with all the trim but the hood isn't mach 1 for some reason lol you'd figure a car that's been sitting since 88' wouldn't have gone through hell within the 20 years but I guess it did. And I'd like to locate the boss that the vin came off of I asked the guy who sold it to this guy and he said he never sold a boss just a 302 fastback and he said if I don't buy it he will. I don't want to ask him till I buy the car cause I may lose it! Could it be that it was clipped in the front and they just used a mach 1 shell and converted the boss to a mach? It was a manual car so there's like a 50 percent chance it was either mach or boss because both were manuals well machs were automatic most of the time but it lowers the odds. How can I find the last registered owner of the car???
Old 04-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He lost the title to the car he said he said I can take as long as I want to buy the car. Its pretty much a mach 1 I believe with all the trim but the hood isn't mach 1 for some reason lol you'd figure a car that's been sitting since 88' wouldn't have gone through hell within the 20 years but I guess it did. And I'd like to locate the boss that the vin came off of I asked the guy who sold it to this guy and he said he never sold a boss just a 302 fastback and he said if I don't buy it he will. I don't want to ask him till I buy the car cause I may lose it! Could it be that it was clipped in the front and they just used a mach 1 shell and converted the boss to a mach? It was a manual car so there's like a 50 percent chance it was either mach or boss because both were manuals well machs were automatic most of the time but it lowers the odds. How can I find the last registered owner of the car???
Did the guy that has it now and 'lost the title' actually have it titled in his name or just signed over to him?
If his name was on the title and he lost it, then he can apply for a new one because it would be recorded at the DMV in his name. But if the guy who has it now just got a signed over title and never transferred it legally to himself, then the previous owner would have to get a replacement tile and re-sign it over to the current person holding the car.
Not sure about your state, but in Texas the person whose name is on the title at the DMV is the person that can get a replacement title. It could be a real problem getting a title. You could end up with a bill of sale, which basically gives a race car to trailer, since you can't get a title. It may be a salvage title. Don't give them any money until you get the title issue resolved unless you're looking for a non-street legal car. A lawyer may be able to get it straightened out, but that's a bunch more money.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If its truly a boss thats a real good find! A couple or matching numbers 1970 boss's sold for around 530,000$ but they had prestige and good documentation too, but i think its worth buying and just do a little research cause either way if its a boss you did good and if its a mach 1 you did good too! I possibly be that it was in a collision at some point and time and maybe they took a front clip of a mach 1 and put it on the boss.
I do know the engine if its a boss should be a G-Code engine, ill find some other stuff that would help you identify it better.. But try to find the engine code
Old 04-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
Did the guy that has it now and 'lost the title' actually have it titled in his name or just signed over to him?
If his name was on the title and he lost it, then he can apply for a new one because it would be recorded at the DMV in his name. But if the guy who has it now just got a signed over title and never transferred it legally to himself, then the previous owner would have to get a replacement tile and re-sign it over to the current person holding the car.
Not sure about your state, but in Texas the person whose name is on the title at the DMV is the person that can get a replacement title. It could be a real problem getting a title. You could end up with a bill of sale, which basically gives a race car to trailer, since you can't get a title. It may be a salvage title. Don't give them any money until you get the title issue resolved unless you're looking for a non-street legal car. A lawyer may be able to get it straightened out, but that's a bunch more money.
Thanks I mean the condition of the car is bad no interior no rear end or trans or engine I mean ill just buy it part it out and sell the shell. I know its illegal to sell the vin but what in the hell couldi do with a boss 2 vin lol keep it as a souvineer and maybe someone will come looking for it?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The engine code is behind the starter which would have to be remove to read it, but here is a link that show the specific parts for a boss 302 that were labeled and identifies the engine too but the code would be the best way to confirm its a Boss 302 block which imo would confirm it as a boss 302 since there is a dash vin( which all cars are identified with )
Heres the link

http://www.semomustang.com/Boss%20302%20Guides%20.aspx

And here is the engine block codes( yours is bottom one )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1209130274.png
Views:	54
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	101940  
Old 04-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks I mean the condition of the car is bad no interior no rear end or trans or engine I mean ill just buy it part it out and sell the shell. I know its illegal to sell the vin but what in the hell couldi do with a boss 2 vin lol keep it as a souvineer and maybe someone will come looking for it?
If you're parting it out, then I don't think you have to worry about it. You're not selling it with a title, then it should be just parts.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The engine code is behind the starter which would have to be remove to read it, but here is a link that show the specific parts for a boss 302 that were labeled and identifies the engine too but the code would be the best way to confirm its a Boss 302 block which imo would confirm it as a boss 302 since there is a dash vin( which all cars are identified with )
Heres the link

SEMO Mustang - Boss 302 Guides

And here is the engine block codes( yours is bottom one )
Thanks for the info but what if there's no engine at all? Body vin and door tag reads it as 351 cleveland but he got it with a 427 in it than put a random 351 in it.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Thanks for the info but what if there's no engine at all? Body vin and door tag reads it as 351 cleveland but he got it with a 427 in it than put a random 351 in it.
Well thatll be a problem, cause most people wouldve kept a boss 302 engine in the car
Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well thatll be a problem, cause most people wouldve kept a boss 302 engine in the car
Lol I'm on a wild goose chase! Well its a mach 1 all around but someone put the boss vin on it somewhere between 70-88' lol.... Wtf is wrong with people?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol I'm on a wild goose chase! Well its a mach 1 all around but someone put the boss vin on it somewhere between 70-88' lol.... Wtf is wrong with people?
Must be a mach 1 that had a weird resto
Old 04-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Must be a mach 1 that had a weird resto
Look at the pics its a blue mach you can see it was calypso coral before and there's even some purple in the paint lol. Just excuse my 69 mach I can't seperate the photos. Mobile Photobucket
Old 04-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #19
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Dude, the more I read about this car, the more I think you should walk away from it. There's a whole lotta jive and nobody has any details about why it's in the jumbled up state it's in. If he doesn't even have a title for the car, there's no telling how many hoops you're gonna have to jump through to get one.

I sold a blown 240sx to a buddy as a parts car he lost the title, got what he needed off the car and then junked it. So I thought. 10 years later I've got some kid knocking at my door asking me if I ever owned that car before. I stupidly said yes. Then, I got dragged through months of this guy coming over with papers for me to sign over and over and he still couldn't get a proper title for it. Finally I had to go down to the court house to apply for a title and transfer it myself, in person! After it was all said and done, I told that guy (jokingly) if you ever show up on my doorstep again I'm gonna shoot first. Lol

Texas sucks about paperwork. I don't know about TN though.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Dude, the more I read about this car, the more I think you should walk away from it. There's a whole lotta jive and nobody has any details about why it's in the jumbled up state it's in. If he doesn't even have a title for the car, there's no telling how many hoops you're gonna have to jump through to get one.

I sold a blown 240sx to a buddy as a parts car he lost the title, got what he needed off the car and then junked it. So I thought. 10 years later I've got some kid knocking at my door asking me if I ever owned that car before. I stupidly said yes. Then, I got dragged through months of this guy coming over with papers for me to sign over and over and he still couldn't get a proper title for it. Finally I had to go down to the court house to apply for a title and transfer it myself, in person! After it was all said and done, I told that guy (jokingly) if you ever show up on my doorstep again I'm gonna shoot first. Lol

Texas sucks about paperwork. I don't know about TN though.

Its $1000
Old 04-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #21
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Its $1000
Now I'd definitely be worried! You better call the DPS and run both of those VIN's and make sure that its not hot.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
69 and 70 Boss 302s have staggered rear shocks. One is in front of the axle and the other behind the axle. The passenger side shock mounts in front of the rear axle.
Picked up: 5/14/2013
55R2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55R2014 View Post
69 and 70 Boss 302s have staggered rear shocks. One is in front of the axle and the other behind the axle. The passenger side shock mounts in front of the rear axle.
+1 and it has the tach tach to witch is rare

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

Boss 302 also had rolled front fenders in the front

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Freeze plugs are not pressed in on the block either

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Intake casting number will be c9FE-9424-e or c9ZE-9424-d
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Hope this helps
Old 04-17-2013, 07:02 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2300turboford View Post
Hope this helps
Yes! Thank you. It does not have oroigial engine or trans in it, but it was a 4 speed. Ill check the vins and see what color the car is really suppose to be.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:44 AM   #26
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
As primer says have the DMV run both vins and I'd call a classic car appraiser they'll know for sure
Old 04-19-2013, 02:05 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Got police to check the body vin which matches the original paint on the car. Hasn't been stolen and has not been registered in a longgg time. Guy bought it in 88 and it turns out from the vin the car came from michigan. Don't know how but this car has been through heck lol. Well I'm just partin it out and keeping the boss vin as a souviner ill run that by police department after I buy the car and post it a lot and maybe someone actually has the real boss out there :/ thanks everyone!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:09 PM   #28
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Got police to check the body vin which matches the original paint on the car. Hasn't been stolen and has not been registered in a longgg time. Guy bought it in 88 and it turns out from the vin the car came from michigan. Don't know how but this car has been through heck lol. Well I'm just partin it out and keeping the boss vin as a souviner ill run that by police department after I buy the car and post it a lot and maybe someone actually has the real boss out there :/ thanks everyone!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs