Flex plate issues - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Flex plate issues

Hi! I have a 1970 mustang, 302 v8 and I have replaced the flex plate due to it breaking, has anyone had this problem even changed the starter and this is the second time, so I want to find out the problem and fix it right this time any info will help?
Mean green 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean green 91 View Post
Hi! I have a 1970 mustang, 302 v8 and I have replaced the flex plate due to it breaking, has anyone had this problem even changed the starter and this is the second time, so I want to find out the problem and fix it right this time any info will help?
Where is it breaking? Is it tearing up the ring gear or cracking around the mounting screws?
It could be the starter relay is sticking and keeping it engaged? How many miles since you changed both?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

They were both new just put them in and the next day it shreds the teeth off the flex plate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They were both new just put them in and the next day it shreds the teeth off the flex plate.
It could be that it's not engaging the teeth enough and not then the starter continuing. Does it start once and then it's fried? Have you checked the starter relay located on the inner fender next to the battery? It might be sticking and not releasing the starter. What does it sound like when starting?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

It really didn't sound to bad starting but I didn't really get a chance to do much driving or letting it run cause it broke the teeth in about a couple hours of driving
Old 04-12-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Teeth shouldn't brake while driving! They only function at startup while the starter is engaged. I would also suspect an engagement/alignment problem. The starter turns the engine over much slower than it turns while running. If the starter be fix stays engaged it would turn the starter when the engine starts to run. That still shouldn't affect the teeth unless the starter locks up. Then the teeth would shear off, I imagine with a terrible sound. I believe improper engagement is the likeliest culprit, but Fords are not like Chevys that have to be shimmed. Maybe you are getting a part that does not fit right. Anybody know if there differences between years?

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

That should be "break"!!!

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

Stupid spell check! "be fix" should be "bendix" the part that pushes the gear out to engage the ring gear.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The starter is working good but when I look at it, it looks to not be straight kind of on a lean like it needs to be shimmed, but like posted I've never shimmed a mustang starter. Don't know but maybe the flex plate is cheap that I bought?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The starter is working good but when I look at it, it looks to not be straight kind of on a lean like it needs to be shimmed, but like posted I've never shimmed a mustang starter. Don't know but maybe the flex plate is cheap that I bought?
If its not straight on then the teeth don't engage properly all the force is on the tips of the tooth , which will shred it. Also if its angled it may not be separated completely and continues to engage while the motor is running.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks that's what it has to be I just haven't really had time to see it happen, There is a first time for everything and plus this is my first classic car I've all ways have had a fox body. Thanks again!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs