Engine Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Engine Help

Hello I have a 1964 1/2 Mustang that I got as my first car and right now it has engine trouble. It over heats like crazy. Me and my dad are going to replace the engine since we already poured thousands into the engine we already have and still don't know what the problem is.

I would like something reasonably high powered, with kinda decent gas mileage but cheap to install.

Any recommendations?

I'm kinda a noob so try not to use complicated words and terms please.

From what I saw fuel injected looked nice but I do not know anything about it.
nyxservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What engine is in it now? You might be able to fix it and add some power for a lot less than starting over. No offense, but if you've poured tons into it and it still overheats, maybe you're not the best candidate for a new engine install.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I won't be doing the installing. And I don't want to put more into the engine when it might not be worth investing in. I was thinking about buying a rebuilt engine and having someone install it.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

And it's a 1971 302 I believe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cool first car! If you have'nt already, take the radiator out and have it boiled.out at a.radiator shop. Or better yet, buy a new one. That is the main cause of overheating in older cars. Im kinda partial to the keep it simple theory. I'd just use the carburetor and get it running and drivable. Then decide what mods fit your needs and your wallet. What engine does your car have?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
The 302 is about the best engine you could have in there. If it's over heating, it's a coolant / radiator/ plumbing/ thermostat / pump problem. Having that diagnosed and fixed is going to be 10x cheaper than a new engine which still may not fix the problem.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I have replaced all of those.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxservant View Post
Then something wasn't done right, you have the wrong thermostat, or you have clogged or damaged coolant pathways in the engine. I seriously doubt the latter.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What symptoms tell you it's overheating?
LukeRailey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently metal shavings keep ending up in a radiator supposedly from the engine. And I thank you for the tips but I'm really just looking at a rebuilt motor for less than $1000

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

And the new temperature gauge determining the temperature and removing the radiator cap and having water gush out like a fountain 100mph after driving the car for about 20 minutes.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Maybe what you are referring to as metal shavings is actually rust? If so, that can be ( and should have been) fixed with hot tanking the block and cleaning the passages before a rebuild. If you don't have the original engine, you are free to put what you want in. But, a 64 1/2 is one that most people would consider restoring to original due to the relative rarity. That said, you could still get a crate motor (already built, comes literally in a crate) 302 or 351. But you are looking at more like $3000.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Apparently metal shavings keep ending up in a radiator supposedly from the engine. And I thank you for the tips but I'm really just looking at a rebuilt motor for less than $1000

---------- Post added at 07:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 PM ----------

And the new temperature gauge determining the temperature and removing the radiator cap and having water gush out like a fountain 100mph after driving the car for about 20 minutes.
I wonder if, at some point, someone over did it with the stop-leak?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I have no idea.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have no idea.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Sometimes it's easier to just start fresh.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Sometimes it's easier to just start fresh.
Very much agreed
Old 04-14-2013, 10:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

It's tough to go cheap and not do it yourself. I think your best bet is to tear your engine down to the block, leave the pistons in and crank in it. Take it to a engine machine shop and have it evaluated. If they say its not cracked, then have it machined and have them replace the pistons and machine the crank. Then you're starting with a good block, the 302 wasn't available in the 64 1/2.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I will consider that. But the whole fuel injected thing. What's needed for that?
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Honestly I'd get one of the budget short blocks from mustangs unlimited or 50resto. You an easily swap over all the heads intake and accessories from your old motor and will have a freshly rebuilt shortblock to start with. It sounds like something must be plugged up internally to be honest if you've already replaced everything else in the cooling department.

The budget short blocks are around $900-1k and have tree shipping to a commercial address.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I will consider that. But the whole fuel injected thing. What's needed for that?
They sell a kit that is integrated into a carburetor looking part, it has a fuel rail and uses injectors to introduce the fuel instead of jets, etc. It comes with a computer type module and a new fuel pump, since you will need a looped pressurized fuel system. Putting fuel injection on the original type carb engine, I don't think will get you a whole lot.

I don't know of a kit that uses an intake manifold type system.

If you are looking into installing an engine that already uses fuel injection, then you will need a computer to regulate fuel delivery as well as changing the fuel pump system. People have removed fuel injected engines from fox body's and other cars and installed them using all the original harnesses and computers. This will give you a more modern engine and some efficiencies, but it also gets a little more complicated to maintain as well.

Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
If the engine is bored that could also cause it to heat up a little more. I'd add a slightly bigger radiator and change water pump and things if the such.
Stanglover1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:28 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomdizzle View Post
Honestly I'd get one of the budget short blocks from mustangs unlimited or 50resto. You an easily swap over all the heads intake and accessories from your old motor and will have a freshly rebuilt shortblock to start with. It sounds like something must be plugged up internally to be honest if you've already replaced everything else in the cooling department.

The budget short blocks are around $900-1k and have tree shipping to a commercial address.
Thanks. I'll look more into that.

---------- Post added at 07:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

Also is there an easy way to just take a EFI motor and convert it to carb easily? Just wondering. I mean I understand there would be a lot to do if it were in a newer car but since I'd be putting it in a vintage one would there be much?
Old 04-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I won't be doing the installing. And I don't want to put more into the engine when it might not be worth investing in. I was thinking about buying a rebuilt engine and having someone install it.

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

I would double check the timing as well as the valves to see if they are to tight. A 302 was not an option in 64 1/2 they had a 289 now when you replaced the radiator did you get one for a V8 car?

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:05 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I got the biggest they had
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes I got the biggest they had
then check the timing and valves I have seen these cause overheating more then once

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

You can just switch manifolds for efi to carb i think And if you are looking for more mpg then a v8 isnt a good idea haha all v8s arent going to be good on gas. There are mods that you can do thatll make the mpg improve. You can drop a 351 in for more power. And as far as the over heating problem have you done a coolant flush? My little 6 was over heatering and i just flushed it about 5 times. And you could have gotten a bad thermostat. Boil some water drop it in and see if it opens also make sure its the right way. And check the radiator car. If it isnt sealing properly then that can cause it to over heat. When the cooling system is under pressure it raises the boiling point also can you post a picture of the metal shavings? Maybe you have a problem with your water pump it seems like there must be a cheaper way to fix it than to drop a mew motor i.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:56 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxservant

Sounds like your best option. Jasper engines are reasonable. The cooling system needs gone through, or you'll be swapping engines again.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxservant
If your sure the radiator is good, it leaves me to believe you have a cracked head. Time for an upgrade and make that sucker really bad.

---------- Post added at 04:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 AM ----------

Or blown head gasket.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

We removed and inspected the engine. Turns out one thing was that they over torqued the heads basically crushing the gaskets making them useless. So we are going to do it right and hope it works.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs