Engine shut off - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Engine shut off

Car turns on no problem for the most part. Have to give it a little gas but then fires right up. Runs for about 45 secs to a little over a minute before shutting itself off and not sure why. Can it be the fuel filter needs to be replaced? Could it also be the weather? It's highs of mid 40s right now in Alaska. Have an electric choke Holley, donno if that helps.
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I have a feeling that the cars just not warm enough but do I just keep pumpin the gas? First time dealing with electric choke and I've owed a carbureted bike before but it had manual operation of the choke so I was able to control the opening of the choke during cold weather start ups. Not sure how to operate the electric choke for these cold days
Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65 View Post
I have a feeling that the cars just not warm enough but do I just keep pumpin the gas? First time dealing with electric choke and I've owed a carbureted bike before but it had manual operation of the choke so I was able to control the opening of the choke during cold weather start ups. Not sure how to operate the electric choke for these cold days
It does sound like a fuel problem I would check fuel pump and filter first. I can't think of a reason the choke would cause this problem unless the smoke was coming out almost black which would mean it was to much gas.

To operate the choke if it is wired correct you set it and forget it. As the coil warms up it changes the choke position until there is no more choke.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post

It does sound like a fuel problem I would check fuel pump and filter first. I can't think of a reason the choke would cause this problem unless the smoke was coming out almost black which would mean it was to much gas.

To operate the choke if it is wired correct you set it and forget it. As the coil warms up it changes the choke position until there is no more choke.
Alright. I look into the filter and pump and see if that fixes it.

Also spoke with a buddy and he said the choke plate could be sticking from sitting over the winter. Suggested I remove the air cleaner and start up the car and see if the choke plate slowly closes as the car warms up and if it does then it rules out the choke being a problem
Old 04-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely need help now. It started up fine this attempt and didn't shut off on me (thank goodness) but my problem now is that my choke plate stays wide open. Isn't it suppose to slowly close itself as the engine gets warmer? Here's a photo of it while the car was running for about 5 min
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1493935075.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	585.8 KB
ID:	104411  
Old 04-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
No, it closes when cold. When the intake manifd is cold, the fuel actually condenses back and sort of sticks to the manifold, that's why the choke is closed when cold, it creates a much richer fuel mixture so the car will run. When it heats up, the atomized fuel makes it to the cylinder easier, so the choke opens to allow a leaner mixture. Sounds like your choke is working if it is blocked off when cold, then slowly opens.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
No, it closes when cold. When the intake manifd is cold, the fuel actually condenses back and sort of sticks to the manifold, that's why the choke is closed when cold, it creates a much richer fuel mixture so the car will run. When it heats up, the atomized fuel makes it to the cylinder easier, so the choke opens to allow a leaner mixture. Sounds like your choke is working if it is blocked off when cold, then slowly opens.
Looks like I had it backwards. Thanks for clearing that up for me. Makes since now

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs