Seized motor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Seized motor

So for anyone that has seen my other posts, I finally got the 68 running smooth after cleaning out the carburetor with some carb cleaner. It also needed a new starter because I found out the old one was bad after I had autozone test it. Replaced it, fired the car up and it was sweet music. Turned it off to run an errand and when I came back, went to start it up again and nothing. Tried turning the crank with a ratchet and it doesn't budge. How did my motor just seize up out of no where when it was just running smooth? What are my options at this point?
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65 View Post
So for anyone that has seen my other posts, I finally got the 68 running smooth after cleaning out the carburetor with some carb cleaner. It also needed a new starter because I found out the old one was bad after I had autozone test it. Replaced it, fired the car up and it was sweet music. Turned it off to run an errand and when I came back, went to start it up again and nothing. Tried turning the crank with a ratchet and it doesn't budge. How did my motor just seize up out of no where when it was just running smooth? What are my options at this point?
Pull the plugs and see if you can rotate it with less resistance. Also could be the starter is causing it, it's probably not seized. Pull the starter and see if it moves. Whatever messed up the first starter may not be fixed yet. Did you change the starter relay?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah pull starter and plugs and try turning it. You can also take your valve covers off and see if your valves are opening
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try what the others have suggested. To much eaither in starting fluid can lock a motor up quick.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Ill remove the starter and take a look at it in a little but and then reinstall it.

I was looking at a couple other forums online and I see quite a bit of people saying to spray some PB blaster in the spark plug sockets. Should I do that?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post

Pull the plugs and see if you can rotate it with less resistance. Also could be the starter is causing it, it's probably not seized. Pull the starter and see if it moves. Whatever messed up the first starter may not be fixed yet. Did you change the starter relay?
Where is the relay located?
Old 05-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ill remove the starter and take a look at it in a little but and then reinstall it.

I was looking at a couple other forums online and I see quite a bit of people saying to spray some PB blaster in the spark plug sockets. Should I do that?
After removing it, try to move the engine unless you see the problem right away.
PB blaster is if the engine is seized up. I really doubt that is the problem.

Quote:
The relay is located on the firewall next to the battery. The starter cable is hooked up to it as well as the alternator. It could be fried and locking up the starter. You might just unhook the starter cable from it and then try to move the engine.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Never mind haha. Didn't realize relay was another name for the solenoid. But after that brief blonde moment, yes I've changed that out already

What I've done so far:
Changed solenoid
Changed ignition switch
Replaced painless wiring harness fuse(50amp)
New negative battery cable
Sprayed carb cleaner in carburetor(holley 4bbl)
Replaced starter

RAN GREAT

Turned engine off, left for about an hour, tried to start and nothing. Tried turning the crank and nothing again so then....

Took off all spark plugs and cleaned them up, and regapped all 8 to 0.040
Made sure all plugs had spark
Did a manual compression check

And Then I had enough for the day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1379240879.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	106430  
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

So the manual compression check, you were able to move the engine?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So the manual compression check, you were able to move the engine?
Sorry I didn't clear it up. I did a manual compression check prior to the engine being stuck when I was trying to diagnose why my car was stalling. It cleared at that point.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:

Marvel mystery oil
Old 05-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Marvel mystery oil
What's that and where am I putting that bad boy
Old 05-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

All the oil in the world is not gonna free it up, you have a mechanical issue, not a rust issue.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Lose the fan belt too so you can isolate whats stuck.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:18 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

What's that and where am I putting that bad boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
All the oil in the world is not gonna free it up, you have a mechanical issue, not a rust issue.
True, to be clear, all I meant was use marvels instead of PB Blaster etc.

Before doing anything drastic, start with the basics. Make sure the battery is not dead and there are no lose connections. Then make sure the starter is getting power, if it is but isn't doing anything, take it to the parts store and have it tested. Once you establish the starter is getting power and should be working you can determine if you indeed have a mechanical failure.

All these tests can done using a Haynes or Chiltons shop manual and a volt meter, the manual can walk you through it. If you're not comfortable doing these tests have a REPUTABLE shop take a look at it for you.

Troubleshooting 101, start at the beginning with the simplest stuff first and work your way through and you'll find the issue.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

So I finally got some shorty wrenches to get the last bolt off the starter and before I even got it off, this piece fell out of the starter. What the hell is this because I have a feeling this is what f'd up my starter. Also attached the photo of what one of the tooth on the starter now looks like. Remember, this is a brand new starter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2554058772.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	466.2 KB
ID:	107413   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-610741815.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	107414  

Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So I finally got some shorty wrenches to get the last bolt off the starter and before I even got it off, this piece fell out of the starter. What the hell is this because I have a feeling this is what f'd up my starter. Also attached the photo of what one of the tooth on the starter now looks like. Remember, this is a brand new starter
Is yours automatic?

Old 05-11-2013, 10:04 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is yours automatic?
Yeah
Old 05-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That looks like the alignment pins so you get you motor and trans together right
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
That looks like the alignment pins so you get you motor and trans together right
What I was thinking, dowel locator pin for the flywheel.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #21
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Tennessee
Did u bolt the motor and tranny together? Was it already in the car?
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Ubnbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:27 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Did u bolt the motor and tranny together? Was it already in the car?
It was already in the car. Not sure if any other owner did any work with either
Old 05-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Guessing they had it apart at some point. Is that starter lifetime guaranteed? If not, I'd upgrade to one that is. That way if something is not lined up properly, you can swap it out after this.

I'm sure she will start up now tho. Lol.
Tint, louvers, Shelby brake light cover, sequentials, brake vent ring delete, Shorty antenna, JLT cold air intake, BAMA tune, VMP 2.5 S/C pulley, Ford racing shifter, MRT OR-H, SLP loudmouths, BMR adj PHB, BMR LCA, Eibach Pro-Kit, cobra jet big oval TB.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

it's almost always something simple. Hopefully you got it..
Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubnbit View Post
Guessing they had it apart at some point. Is that starter lifetime guaranteed? If not, I'd upgrade to one that is. That way if something is not lined up properly, you can swap it out after this.

I'm sure she will start up now tho. Lol.
Yeah, got a duralast one from autozone so the replacement starter should be in tomorrow. Hopefully this fixes the problem
Old 05-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It looks like part of the starter bendix to me.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

My issue now is with people saying its different things such as part of starter and part of tranny, I don't know whether to install the new starter and see if it starts up, or hold off because it might make things worse. Plus, if its off the tranny I've never taken one off so I wouldn't even know where to start with that
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Sepperating the transmission is pretty easy its just 10 blots if you have an auto. But you say you never had the transmission off?
Old 05-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My issue now is with people saying its different things such as part of starter and part of tranny, I don't know whether to install the new starter and see if it starts up, or hold off because it might make things worse. Plus, if its off the tranny I've never taken one off so I wouldn't even know where to start with that
If it were a line up dowel from the trans, It's no big deal, it fell out prior to assembly and you already have the trans bolts in. If It's from the starter bendix, you should be able to see where It's came apart. If your putting a new starter in anyway, you shouldn't have any worries.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
It looks like part of the starter bendix to me.
Quote:

If it were a line up dowel from the trans, It's no big deal, it fell out prior to assembly and you already have the trans bolts in. If It's from the starter bendix, you should be able to see where It's came apart. If your putting a new starter in anyway, you shouldn't have any worries.
Agreed, looks like the pin that holds the bendix on the shaft. Alignment dowels are larger in diameter
Old 05-12-2013, 07:42 AM   #31
Registered Member

Regular

Take it with u to the parts place. Let them see it. They should be able to pull up each part and find out for sure what it is. Tranny is not that big of a deal. Just get a friend to help u grunt.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

Agreed, looks like the pin that holds the bendix on the shaft. Alignment dowels are larger in diameter
The starter shaft has probably 6-8 of them inside the gear, that lay along side of the shaft. When the starter is spun, they lock (from: centrifical force ) ,allowing the gear to turn with the shaft. I hope this explains it because I have a hard time putting my thoughts into words.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Just remembered, it should be slightly egg shaped if it came from the Bendix . The picture looks like a bearing now that I look at it again. If It's not egg shaped, take it to the dealer, your about to have big problems.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

So I replaced the old starter with the new one and the car fired right up again, thank goodness. After letting the car warm up, it started to screech so I turned the car off. First place I looked was the oil, more like lack of. So my question is do I pull the drain plug and drain it and fill with brand new oil, or do I just top it off to see if that is or isn't the cause for the screech
Old 05-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #35
Registered Member

Regular

Where was it coming from? The starter wasnt still engaged was it? Do you have a dipstick to check the oil? Don't drain it. Not if its fresh.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

We need more info on the screech.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs