Stripes or no stripes? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Stripes or no stripes?

My cars out for paint and bodywork but I can't decide on stripes... I'm painting it the factory red but i can't make up my mind on stripes any ideas?
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA68 mustang View Post
My cars out for paint and bodywork but I can't decide on stripes... I'm painting it the factory red but i can't make up my mind on stripes any ideas?
What are your plans for the car.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
What's interior color? What color stripes are you thinking of?
iStang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

It's black interior and I was thinking white stripes of some sort... I'm going for a retro street rod look
Old 06-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's black interior and I was thinking white stripes of some sort... I'm going for a retro street rod look
What color is the body being painted
Old 06-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
I my self would not strip the reason the strips where done in the 60's was to keep the glare of the sun out of the drivers eyes while racing

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iStang65

What color is the body being painted
The factory t code dark red... Sorry I forgot about it in the other post
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The factory t code dark red... Sorry I forgot about it in the other post
Well if exterior is dark red and interior is black, I personally wouldn't go with the white stripes. Either go with black to go with interior or my personal opinion, stripe less. Never been a fan of stripes unless its a specific color combo like blue stripes on white car or the Eleanor style with gun metal gray and black stripes.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
that depends, are you doing a restomod? meaning are you stripping the chrome and emblems to clean up the look of the car? or are you doing a full restoration complete with badges and other trim pieces? if going the restomod route, then stripes wont look out of place, and may even enhance the look, given the right color combination. otherwise i would leave off the stripes.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

It's kinda a mix of both, I'm keeping most of the trim, putting on torq thrust d wheels, a full flowmaster exhaust and a warmed up 289... I was kinda leaning towards stripes just to break up the sea of red on the hood
Old 06-07-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's kinda a mix of both, I'm keeping most of the trim, putting on torq thrust d wheels, a full flowmaster exhaust and a warmed up 289... I was kinda leaning towards stripes just to break up the sea of red on the hood
If the sea of red is the problem I would find a person that does air brushing and have them paint something on the hood. When I get mine back here I will be having the hood air brushed. Other then that the strips that where common on the hoods of the day where flat black for the reason stated before.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:19 PM   #12
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Actually the Shelby stripes from the 60's were to identify the cars as American in international racing. U.S. colors were white with blue stripes. Other colors came along as variations on a theme and were strictly for looks. I do agree that flat black hood treatments were to fight glare in racing. But that "look" for street cars came along a little later than stripes.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

that depends, are you doing a restomod? meaning are you stripping the chrome and emblems to clean up the look of the car? or are you doing a full restoration complete with badges and other trim pieces? if going the restomod route, then stripes wont look out of place, and may even enhance the look, given the right color combination. otherwise i would leave off the stripes.
If your going for a red paint job then if it was me I'd go with stripes it makes it more like a race car not your everyday mustang
Tyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs