1978 mustang king cobra? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
1978 mustang king cobra?

Did the 78 stangs come out with a normal mustang and a king cobra? or is there a way I can transform my 78 into a cobra as well?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_152802.png
Views:	922
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	117302

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_152821.png
Views:	1652
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	117303

Name:	ForumRunner_20130708_152837.png
Views:	397
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	117304
zodo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
No the long cobra is a seperate model and you will need the body kit and wheels and stoping kit and I think the interior is different
Old 07-08-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Ive done some comparisons with pictures online and the interior basically looks the same minus the cobra logos and what not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Cool. I haven't seen a decent looking Pintostang in a while. Yes, I believe 78 was the only year for the King Cobra gen 2 Mustang. During those dark years, the mighty King Cobra, Cobra, and the Mach were just appearance packages so doing a clone should be relatively easy if you can source the parts. Drive trains are identical between all V8 cars. There may have been a 4spd available, not sure. When they made the Mach, the only engine available was the 2.8 V6. But even the 302 powered King Cobra was only a 10 second 0-60 car. I'm not going to guess at the quarter mile time. Can't count that high. Lol. Glad to see yours didn't get scavenged for the front end parts...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
Cool. I haven't seen a decent looking Pintostang in a while. Yes, I believe 78 was the only year for the King Cobra gen 2 Mustang. During those dark years, the mighty King Cobra, Cobra, and the Mach were just appearance packages so doing a clone should be relatively easy if you can source the parts. Drive trains are identical between all V8 cars. There may have been a 4spd available, not sure. When they made the Mach, the only engine available was the 2.8 V6. But even the 302 powered King Cobra was only a 10 second 0-60 car. I'm not going to guess at the quarter mile time. Can't count that high. Lol. Glad to see yours didn't get scavenged for the front end parts...
This has a 302 v8 in it. But its also my understanding that the coupes were the standard models and the hatchbacks are the king cobras. This car has had work done by the previous owner. Is it possible that it was a cobra and just got fixed up with standard parts? Because my car looks identical to king cobras online minus the logos. And yes its a 10 second 0-60 car
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

No. Not all of the hatchbacks were KC's. Its possible that yours was at one time though. You'll have to do a VIN search to determine that. If your engine has had any kind of work done, at all, I'm sure it does better than a 10 second 0-60. The original cars were horribly tuned...
Old 07-09-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to renouji Send a message via Skype™ to renouji
From all my research on my '78 notchback (the none fast backs were called notchbacks not sedans) the fast back, mach, KC and Cobra were identical except for looks, some differences are the dash, the mach seems to have 1 air vent on drivers left only like the notch back while the cobra and king had 4 vents total, door panels, seat style, colors available off the line and whether it could come with a v4, v6 or v8. the notch back and mach both seemed to be available in all 3 but the cobra and king only came with a v6 or v8. Also seemed that all the cobras and kings had 4 speeds. other differences included the finish on the dash, t-top availability and other minor differences such as power steering, AC, or front & rear disc or front disc & rear drums.

However do not trust just my research because I could totally be wrong, all my info is just stuff I have read on a bunch of different websites, and talking to various professional restorers or hobbyist restorers like my dad, that I pieced together myself.
renouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by renouji View Post
From all my research on my '78 notchback (the none fast backs were called notchbacks not sedans) the fast back, mach, KC and Cobra were identical except for looks, some differences are the dash, the mach seems to have 1 air vent on drivers left only like the notch back while the cobra and king had 4 vents total, door panels, seat style, colors available off the line and whether it could come with a v4, v6 or v8. the notch back and mach both seemed to be available in all 3 but the cobra and king only came with a v6 or v8. Also seemed that all the cobras and kings had 4 speeds. other differences included the finish on the dash, t-top availability and other minor differences such as power steering, AC, or front & rear disc or front disc & rear drums.

However do not trust just my research because I could totally be wrong, all my info is just stuff I have read on a bunch of different websites, and talking to various professional restorers or hobbyist restorers like my dad, that I pieced together myself.
Well mine is a manual 4 speed transmission t top with power steering. Is it likely that it was a king? And restored as an original?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

All standard options on all models of the '78 stang from what I have seen, except I think the t-tops only came on the fastback models. when I looked at your photos on KSL the door panels looked like the Cobra ones, but use this link to decode your vin and see what they say and let me know I'm very interested to know if its a KC or not!

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Calculators & Decoders: 1974-1978 Mustang II VIN Decoder
Old 07-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All standard options on all models of the '78 stang from what I have seen, except I think the t-tops only came on the fastback models. when I looked at your photos on KSL the door panels looked like the Cobra ones, but use this link to decode your vin and see what they say and let me know I'm very interested to know if its a KC or not!

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Calculators & Decoders: 1974-1978 Mustang II VIN Decoder
This is the information it gave me

3-DR Hatchback MACH I
Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

So its the Mach I not the Cobra or KC? interesting. If you want I can get up a few sites, I have seen the KC decals forsale and maybe I can find out what the interior package was in the KC if you really want yours to look like the KC. I think the Mach I was the only hatchback model that didn't come with the rear and side window louvers.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:02 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So its the Mach I not the Cobra or KC? interesting. If you want I can get up a few sites, I have seen the KC decals forsale and maybe I can find out what the interior package was in the KC if you really want yours to look like the KC. I think the Mach I was the only hatchback model that didn't come with the rear and side window louvers.
Yeah man that would be great thanks a bunch!
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have some photo's to show the differences.

I am pretty sure this is the style of your stang's door panel, so now I believe this is the Mach I's interior panel.
This one is the style of my Notchback. Photos of some supposed King Cobras also had this door style.
and this is the Cobra II's
Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
The king Cora from zookeeper was awesome!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3401487420.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	117388  
FortyBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/3869314255.html
This one has been for sale for a while
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay65 View Post
http://fresno.craigslist.org/cto/3869314255.html
This one has been for sale for a while
Im not looking to buy one but thanks anyways
Old 07-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Interesting. I didn't think any gen 2 Machs had V8s or were even produced in 78. Boy was I wrong. I really shouldn't trust my memory about things that happened 35 years ago. Lol.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thought you could use it to compare and maybe get some more pics...
Dmay65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmay65 View Post
Thought you could use it to compare and maybe get some more pics...
Thanks man!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs