Roller rocker help! Pics! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Roller rocker help! Pics!

Got a 67 mustang with a 302 bored to a 306 it has 351 heads on it a hydraulic cam and 1.6 roller rockers, can someone tell me if these will make noise and if It can hurt anything?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4066335490.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	120308
93stang306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The roller rockers? Will they make noise? Hell no. Ive been using them on every engine I've had for years. Thats a nice set-up you have. Shouldn't be any problem...
straybullitt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Here's a video of what it sounds like, any ideas if that's an exhaust leak or valve noise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know. Your sound man sucks. Lol. It's difficult to tell without being there. I assume that you have adjusted the valves correctly. A stuck or collapsed lifter could be at fault. Broken or weak valve spring? Do you know what kind of lifters are in the engine? I'm just throwing some stuff out there to check if you're suspicious of the valvetrain. A way to check for exhaust leaks is to just feel around the headers when you first start up the engine when it is STONE COLD. Be careful not to burn yourself! You can also visually check for evidence of leaks. From what I could tell from the video, that engine sounds pretty healthy other than the noise so its probably NOT a valve but who knows? Start with the basics and go from there.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:38 AM   #5

Region: Canada
You sure your valve covers have proper clearance. Are you using tall covers. Can you isolate the noise to one side or location.
Port139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Well I turned my distributor to slow the timing down and get it to idle at about 900 rpm and the ticking seemed to get louder and more clear. I took a video of it maybe u all can help me pinpoint it before I spend $300+ on new long tube headers and another $100 on getting it tuned. I'd hate to spend all that and have to end up replacing my valves or something crazy. Ill post a video shortly

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

take a listen see what u thank

---------- Post added at 01:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

take a listen see what u thank
Old 07-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Any ideas?
Old 07-27-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Are you valves adjusted right?

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

Or hows your oil pressure? Or did you get anew oil pump ? Or did you change your oil weight ?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. You're not giving us much to go on. It's hard to tell from an 11 second video and the hood is only up for about 4 seconds. Have you eliminated the possibility of an exhaust leak? As asked a couple of times earlier, are the valves adjusted correctly? Did you recently run it out of oil? Lol. Give us some background here so we can give you an educated guess. Does this sound seem to be coming from the top of the engine? Bottom? One side more than the other?
Old 07-27-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
make sure your rockers are properly adjusted.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry about the lack of info, it sounds more like its coming from the top and before I adjusted the timing a little slower it sounded like the passenger side, and my grandfather adjusted the rockers once to spec he thought was right, not sure about oil type, an it has good oil pressure, it's so high pitch of a tick I wasn't sure if it could be an exhaust leak I thought it would sound a little more low pitch rather then high pitch tick.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:40 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well its pretty easy to check if your valves are adjusted right just need a feeler gauge and buddy to turn the crank to check all the valves
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Well its pretty easy to check if your valves are adjusted right just need a feeler gauge and buddy to turn the crank to check all the valves
tah assumes he is running a solid lifter cam.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Update! Took the passenger side header loose and looked at the aluminum high performance exhaust manifold gasket and could see black on a few places so I took some copper gold ultra silicone and put in those spots put it back together! And bam! Sounds like it went away on that side! I believe what I was hearing was the exhaust leak, and reason it was so high pitch and sounded like metal against metal noise was because my gaskets our the reusable aluminum ones, makes a lot of since for air to squeeze through that it would vibrate the gasket making it sound like the taping of a valve.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93stang306 View Post
Update! Took the passenger side header loose and looked at the aluminum high performance exhaust manifold gasket and could see black on a few places so I took some copper gold ultra silicone and put in those spots put it back together! And bam! Sounds like it went away on that side! I believe what I was hearing was the exhaust leak, and reason it was so high pitch and sounded like metal against metal noise was because my gaskets our the reusable aluminum ones, makes a lot of since for air to squeeze through that it would vibrate the gasket making it sound like the taping of a valve.
nice job. it is easy to get fooled into thinking an exhaust leak is a tappet noise.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks I just figure I would post why it sounded like it incase anybody else has a similar problem!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs