Update on my '78 Mustang II - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by renouji View Post
Lol thanks! found out today that my vacuum advance on my MSD distributor was broken, we fixed it today and now I get no more hesitation (or stuttering whatever you want to call it) or power loss on the hills xD. not running cherry yet but 1 step closer.
Good deal
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Awesome. It's one step at a time. It takes a lot of patience on these old ones. Fix one move to the next.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Send a message via Yahoo to renouji Send a message via Skype™ to renouji
Exactly, you guys think I should still rebuild the carb? and next on my to do list is keeping an eye on ebay and craigs list for a new instrument cluster, I was gonna buy the one off the V6 '77 Cobra II at the local junk yard but that ones speedometer only goes to 80 and mine goes to 120 so I didn't know if it would be compatible. Tho I thought about grabbing its 4 speed manual and swapping out my 5 speed that was taking off the '62 sunbeam
renouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 01:21 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I would still rebuild it but it doesnt sound like its an issue anymore, im still wondering about the power loss around corners?
Is ur 5spd the t-5? If so, id definitely stick with that. If not, id get one.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:44 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

I dont know if its the T5 or not, the guy I bought the car from only said that the transmission came out of a 1962 sunbeam alpine. also the stalling on the turns is gone too. Now I can concentrate on finding that last oil leak.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:00 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Well if that transmission was original to the sunbeam, i think i would replace it as fast as i could. They never had v8 engines, mostly 4 cyl. Im confused why a transmission from a british touring car would be mated to a 289 v8
Old 09-05-2013, 02:05 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

I was told that the '62 sunbeam had a 289 in it because shelby helped design it. Again tho I am assuming this guy is a complete idiot based off some of his "repairs" he did and I had to redo because he used silicon and/or too many gaskets. He also claims the engine was bored out to a 5.0L making it a 302 but I know the 289 doesn't need to be bored out to be a 302, and most people would say something like bored .20 over or something. I may not know a lot about mechanics but I do know some that I picked up from my fathers restoration days. Let me find his original Ad I had found on the internet and I will tell you exactly what he claimed online about this vehicle.
Old 09-05-2013, 02:26 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Here it is, please note the timing issues were because of the vacuum advance she is perfectly timed now, the interior is not all completely original & is deteriorating, the seats are all cut up, The original radio is gone and he left live wires hanging from where he cut the old radio harness off and spliced into the lighter wiring, the original speakers are gone, so is the ashtray and the door panels are not original I verified they are aftermarket produced via a stamp on the back of the panels. The "magnaflow exhaust system" is just the muffler she still has the stock exhaust manifolds which I do need to get replaned. When I talked to him on the phone he claimed that the 289 came out of a '64 or '65 ford pickup but when I replaced the fuel pump I found out the engine is a '68. He claims that trany came out of a '62 sunbeam because it had a 289 designed by shelby, but like you I asked "why out of a
british touring car?" I don't think he had any clue what the engine and trany came out of. he also claimed that it fires right up and that he started it a few days before my fiancee bought it for me but me and my father-in-law had to do a lot of adjustments on the carb (not to mention putting fuel in the carb) just to get it to fire and charge the battery cuz it was completely dead (but it does hold a charge perfectly fine) he also claimed that he had it on the road in 2012 and drove it around and everything ran fine but there is no way besides I found another listing online from the same guy same exact wording posted back in 2010.

I have no idea what has been done to the inside of this motor, I have no idea if there is a way to find out without taking the engine out and pulling it apart. Does it have the stock cam? was it really bored out? is it still a 4.8L or is it a 5.0L now? were the correct mods done to make it a 302 or is it still a 289? (it does have a Edelbrock 289 performer air intake manifold on).

'78 Ford Mustang 2

Primered '78 Ford Mustang 2 with 302 borded out to a 5.0

Edelbrock carborator and Edelbrock manifold

MSD blaster coil, MSD spark plug wires, MSD rotors & cap

Magnaflow exhaust system

New Soft tires

5 speed trany

3 Gear Rear end

New radiator

New clutch
Original interior-good condition

Needs new motor mounts and trany mounts
(I have had a hard time timing it due to the mounts - other than that it will fireright up no problems.)

MUST SEE TO APPRICIATE

***WILLING TO TRADE FOR A NICER PULL BEHIND TRAILER, CAMPER TRAILER***

$1,000.00 O.B.O.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:17 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Mystery car..

Well, i know a t-5 when i see one but i dont know how to describe it.
Maybe someone who knows will chime in...
Actually i have a picture of one somewhere ill have to find it after work for ya
Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I think there is some confusion about the engine. 289 and 302 are almost the same block, both have 4" bore for pistons. The 289 has a 2.87" stroke and the 302 has a 3" stroke. Boring an engine is typically .020" or .030" over, this only increases 289 to about 292. It doesn't bore to a 302.
The 302 is considered a 5.0 even though technically it's only 4.99999. Until the new 5.0 coyote engine currently used, which is a completely different animal.
Now that you know you have a 289 block, which probably has been bored .030" over. You need to identify your heads, if you haven't do so. Next time you have the valve covers off, get the casting numbers and determine what year and type heads. It's important to determine exactly what you have, since the guy selling seems clueless. You should also get some numbers off the tranny. Just because it was pulled out of a sunbeam doesn't mean it was original to that car. It might be a Ford 4 speed tranny.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #46
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Tiger had a 4 speed Toploader. T-5 didn't appear until early 80's. Lets just go with seller was confused or prone to exaggeration.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
I think there is some confusion about the engine. 289 and 302 are almost the same block, both have 4" bore for pistons. The 289 has a 2.87" stroke and the 302 has a 3" stroke. Boring an engine is typically .020" or .030" over, this only increases 289 to about 292. It doesn't bore to a 302.
The 302 is considered a 5.0 even though technically it's only 4.99999. Until the new 5.0 coyote engine currently used, which is a completely different animal.
Now that you know you have a 289 block, which probably has been bored .030" over. You need to identify your heads, if you haven't do so. Next time you have the valve covers off, get the casting numbers and determine what year and type heads. It's important to determine exactly what you have, since the guy selling seems clueless. You should also get some numbers off the tranny. Just because it was pulled out of a sunbeam doesn't mean it was original to that car. It might be a Ford 4 speed tranny.
Where do I find these casting numbers on the head?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:05 PM   #48
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quick google search gave me this.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...t_pulling_them
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs