Wha happened? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Wha happened?

Decided to start up the 67 today, so I charged up the battery, it fired, ran for a few seconds, then sputtered and died. Not too surprised because the carb needs adjusting. I cranked it again and while cranking, everything died. No warning lights, no starter motor, no lights.

Battery has juice. I'll look at fuses when I get a chance. My first instinct is a fuse or a short. Anything else I should be looking at? My DMM is at work so I don't have a way to check voltage or continuity tonight.

67 fastback A code 289 GTA.

Thanks,
Evan
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
Decided to start up the 67 today, so I charged up the battery, it fired, ran for a few seconds, then sputtered and died. Not too surprised because the carb needs adjusting. I cranked it again and while cranking, everything died. No warning lights, no starter motor, no lights.

Battery has juice. I'll look at fuses when I get a chance. My first instinct is a fuse or a short. Anything else I should be looking at? My DMM is at work so I don't have a way to check voltage or continuity tonight.

67 fastback A code 289 GTA.

Thanks,
Evan
Could be the relay next to the battery. Everything goes through it.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
Could be the relay next to the battery. Everything goes through it.
yep the soleniod is certainly an issue. it can ground out the entire system. another issue is the ignition switch and the neutral safety switch.
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the responses guys. Ignition switch is also a possibility.

Since there is no power to dash lights, etc I THINK that would rule out a neutral safety switch, right? It really is like someone pulled the battery out of the car mid-crank.

I'll post back up as I have time to dig in with my meter and see what's getting juice and I learn more. Looking at some of the wiring, I'm almost afraid of what kind of scary work-arounds I'm going to find!
Old 09-16-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If you have a lot of electrical issues, invest in a Power Probe. They have different kits, but you can hook it to the battery with very long cable and check wires and circuits, but also activate a circuit with a switch. It's really awesome, it's helped me find a lot of issues.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sounds silly, but make double sure your terminals are clean tight. Also, I had a problem with the firewall connector on my '66. Acted the same way. The one closest to the inner fender. That's where the power comes inside, I believe.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

She lives! When I turned the key on this time, the dash light came on, ruling out things like fuses (it's one of them self-fixin problems). But when I went to crank, there was an audible click from the solenoid and all went dead. After checking some things, dash lights came back on, meaning there was most likely a connection issue.

Points go to Matcox this round. I cleaned up the battery terminals and solenoid terminals and tightened down all the connections, and problem solved!

Thanks guys!
Evan
Old 09-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Make sure the solenoid is grounded i had the same problem and one of the screws hold it was was stripped and was losing the connection
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Travis, I will definitely look at that if it happens again. This time, it was either a connection to the battery or solenoid that caused the issue.

Next up is the fuel line...but that project will be tougher to sneak in, so it looks like I have to finish building a pot rack first

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs