At a loss with this '68 289 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Send a message via Yahoo to renouji Send a message via Skype™ to renouji
At a loss with this '68 289

weirdest thing happened today, I noticed last night some of my hoses on my engine seemed to be slipping off so today I tightened them up and now my oil leak is all but gone ... as far as I know I tightened 2 coolant hoses from my engine to my heater core and my fuel line so I don't understand how this came to pass ... >.> any ideas from the more experienced guys?
renouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
it sounds to me like you never had an oil leak of consequence. what may have happened is that the coolant that was leaking, washed the oil away and made it seem like an oil leak.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

At the time I posted this I was exhausted from work and working on her. But actually what I did was fix my fuel leak what I need help with is where could my oil leak be that would cause it to splatter up onto the and the inside of the nose. I have thought of all the usual leak areas oil pan, valve covers, head gasket etc but those are all areas with no compression, with the exception of the heads but if my head gasket was leaking or the head cracked I would also be losing anti-freeze and running hot which I am not, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2013, 02:43 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by renouji View Post
At the time I posted this I was exhausted from work and working on her. But actually what I did was fix my fuel leak what I need help with is where could my oil leak be that would cause it to splatter up onto the and the inside of the nose. I have thought of all the usual leak areas oil pan, valve covers, head gasket etc but those are all areas with no compression, with the exception of the heads but if my head gasket was leaking or the head cracked I would also be losing anti-freeze and running hot which I am not, right?
the engine fan blows enough air around that oil and other liquids will get everywhere. as for a possible loss of coolant, it depends on how bad the leak is. i have had leaks that were tiny, and so i didnt notice a loss of coolant. but if you meant fuel instead of coolant, the same thing applies. fuel is an excellent solvent.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not leaking either of those. I was leaking fuel but I fixed that. I'm still leaking oil tho, I don't think it's hitting the fan even tho it is getting all over the bottom of the hood and inside the nose it is limited to only the passenger side of the engine compartment. The driver side remains bone dry.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

oil doesnt have to hit the fan to get all over the place.
Old 09-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Was the fuel leak in the passenger side, usually the inlet side for the carb. As rbohm said it may not be oil. Leaking fuel mixing with grease, dirt and grime on your engine can produce a thick oily substance, giving the impression of an oil leak. It also could be a clogged PCV valve. I've had one clog up and force oil out of the dipstick from the crankcase pressure. It ultimately ruined my alternator, before discovery on a long trip.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

no pcv valve has an oil breather tho. Could the oil breather cause that? Cuz it has seemed to me from the beginning it has been coming from the dipstick shift.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If the rings are shot, you can get excessive blowby that can come out the breather. You would get a sort of mist of oil and exhaust gases.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

well thanks for the info guys before I did any other work on the car to try and fix this I replaced the oil breather and its fixed now. going to make an appt to get her tuned up in a week or so and she should be running pretty sweet. now to tackle the instrument cluster, step one find out why the tach died completely
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sorry I missed this before, but you need a PCV. It stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation. There is a normal amount of pressure in the crankcase that needs to go somewhere. The PCV allows it to go back through the engine. If you just have a breather, the pressure (and oil vapor) are going under your hood. You need both a breather and a PCV.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs