New dofferential in classic mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
New dofferential in classic mustang

Nobody know if the differential from a newer model mustang (sn95 width) would fit in my 68 coupe. I found one for sail and was thinking about getting it because it has discs on the back. Would I have to put new mounts on it or what? Thanks!
Bpolley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Anybody*
Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
First, I don't know. Second, when you post in the middle of the night, have a little patience on a response. Did you search this forum for the answer? I'm pretty sure this has been discussed at length.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You are talking the entire axle housing and not just the differential, right? You can possibly make it work but you will have to cut off all of the mount flanges on the new one and weld new mounts that will allow you to use the new axle housing on leaf springs. The other option is to remove the leafs from your car and add attachment points for upper and lower control arms and coil springs. Either way it is a major conversion and unless you are a master welder/fabricator it can't be done in your garage.
2002 Black/Red GT (Ginger)
2011 Red Candy Metallic V6 (Manfred)
2016 Magnetic Metallic GT (Susie II)
bigmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Not sure, but I have heard that there are some rear disc vehicles where the whole axle can swap right over (not sure if that means the width is correct already). It might be worth finding out if this is true then looking around the junk yards for one.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Continental Marks are like that. They have disc brakes and a 9-inch diff. The problem is that by the time they started putting disc brakes on them they got away from leaf springs. Aren't there several manufacturers who offer disc brake conversion kits? Of course this may be getting outside of the OP's price range.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
First, I don't know. Second, when you post in the middle of the night, have a little patience on a response. Did you search this forum for the answer? I'm pretty sure this has been discussed at length.
I didn't realize I was being inpatient at all. I just posted a question?

---------- Post added at 01:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

And yea I know there are conversion kits they are just real expensive so I was just curious if the whole differential might work. Thanks!
Old 09-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Don't think the SN95 kit with diff is worth putting on considering that you WILL have to fabricate and modify! Plus the brakes on that setup are not that great. If they came off a SVT cobra car then it's a completely different story. I know because I've modified my suspension a lot in back and learned the hard way a few times.

Wait, save more money and buy a top quality BOLT ON kit.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I didn't realize I was being inpatient at all...

I believe that he may have been referring to your "anyone *" post at 7:15 AM (before many are awake).
Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

BTW....in back I've dropped the car 2", added the maier panhard bar, welded traction bars, racing saw bar and still maintaining the leaf spring setup. The car handles amazing.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpapaDean View Post
BTW....in back I've dropped the car 2", added the maier panhard bar, welded traction bars, racing saw bar and still maintaining the leaf spring setup. The car handles amazing.

.....and when I say "amazing" I mean AMAZING to the point that I track the car. Next year I will do my disc setup in back.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmac3 View Post
I didn't realize I was being inpatient at all... I believe that he may have been referring to your "anyone *" post at 7:15 AM (before many are awake).
Ooh I put that because I put nobody instead of anybody so I was correcting that. My bad

---------- Post added at 02:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:08 PM ----------

Quote:
BTW....in back I've dropped the car 2", added the maier panhard bar, welded traction bars, racing saw bar and still maintaining the leaf spring setup. The car handles amazing. ---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ---------- .....and when I say "amazing" I mean AMAZING to the point that I track the car. Next year I will do my disc setup in back.
Yea I got new suspension front and rear and lowered it one inch. I got front disc brakes for the front. If it's that difficult I might just wait a whole and do t later
Old 09-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Look, I've got my 4piston setup in front with some lowered springs, race sway bar and frame connectors and it's real good for handling. Maybe some coil overs would be just perfect. But as soon as you have to start fabricating....your budget just triples. $$$$$&
Old 09-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
My apologies on the "nobody/anybody"! I took it as "is anybody gonna answer." I think I'm becoming a cranky old man!
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
My apologies on the "nobody/anybody"! I took it as "is anybody gonna answer." I think I'm becoming a cranky old man!
Haha no it's fine! I understand where you got that from.

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Look, I've got my 4piston setup in front with some lowered springs, race sway bar and frame connectors and it's real good for handling. Maybe some coil overs would be just perfect. But as soon as you have to start fabricating....your budget just triples. $$$$$&
Alright thanks! I'll check into some cool overs

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs